Envelope filter + Synth.... Need some advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Feb 11, 2006.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Help me out here folks..........

I used to use a Q-tron for envelops sounds, and was not so impressed with it. I recently traded it to someone and picked up a pigtronix ep-1 and OFO disnortion at NAMM with the intent of having a better envelope filter and also using the combo as more of a "synthesque" effect. Its a pretty cool sounding combo, but I'm regrettably finding that it doesn't really do what I want it to.

I guess what i want is a really nice envelope filter for clean envelope sounds, and a really good synth effect as well. I like using the dirt of the disnortion with the envelope filter, but I really want a "synth" effect too, something to make my bass sound more like a microkorg, or a minimoog or a some other real keyboard synth.

-So I wasn't really impressed with the qtron
    -And the EP1 is pretty cool, but I'm not sold on the envelope filter
    -The disnortion helps out, but I don't really use fuzz or overdrive so much
    - I checked out a EH bass synth and though it was cool- definitely more towards the sound I was looking for.
    -Digitech Bass synth wah sounded cheap and kind of lame to my ears.

So what do you guys reccomend for me??? The pedals that I'm thinking might do the job would be: deep impact (although I hate to spend 400 bucks on one), moog low pass filter, meatball, bass IQ.

I just want to find something that hopefully has some great synth tones, and also has a really nice envelope filter.

thanks for your help!!!
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You wont get synth tones out of the lowpass, meatball or Bass IQ. You say you want keyboard/minimoog tones.

To get these you have to go with a Deep Impact (just spend the money!) or a Korg G5, or an EHX Bass Micro Synth. Something I'd be interested in checking out would be the Roland GR 33 guitar synth, and it's "moog" patches. I've yet to do this tho.

Lowpass, meatball and BassIQ are envelope filters out and out. That's all they do - NO SYNTH HERE!!! I have owned all three for fairly long streches of time. The meatball is the best, no competition, but if you're loathe to spend $400 on Deep Impact, I think you might cry at meatball prices.
  3. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the ehx micro synth pairs up pretty well with the moog filter.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yeah, I thought the microsynth was pretty cool. The deep impact kind of seems the holy grail of synth pedals, and after listening to it on Akais website, I think its pretty sweet. Is the deep impact preset only? I mean, can you change the values of any of the settings, or is it 6 sounds period?

Does anyone here actually prefer the G5 or microsynth? (I don't know why they call it "micro", its got that mammoth EH chassis)

Yeah, it seems pretty pricey, maybe someone will want to do a trade for my EP1 and OFO towards a SB1 and a meatball........ ( I won't hold my breath):)
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the soundclips on the Chunk Systems site. Their two pedals in combination produce some classic monosynth chirps and bloops.
  7. Coolcow666

Coolcow666 Ribonucleic acid freak out!

Jan 20, 2006
    If you were looking to get rid of your OFO disnortion I would gladly take it off your hands. Who can wait for it to actually come out hah. Send me a PM if you are interested.
  8. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    I have both of these pedals, and they are both really cool. I think the G5 is all digital, but it sure sounds analog. The EHX Microsynth sounds great too.

The best argument for the G5 over the EHX Bass Microsynth is that it has presets. It has 9 settings that you can save. The factory presets are good, but they are easily modified if desired. You can revert to the factory settings at any time. The G5 is very flexible, and the sound is great. I think it is comparable to the Deep Impact in sound quality. If you can find one for under $300, grab it.

I have a lot of synth and envelope effects, just because I like to play with stuff to see how it sounds. Send me a PM if you end up in the market for a G5, EHX Bass Microsynth, or a MoogerFooger MF101 Low Pass Filter. I have all of them, but would sell any of them to try something new- perhaps a Pigtronix envelope filter.

9. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    With expression pedals you can get a few good synth type sounds from the Moog Lowpass.
    They are warm sounding and usable. 2 at least for the Cut off and Resonance. 4 is the best.
  10. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA

+1 I used one through my lowpass and it sounded delicious.
  11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    hmm that could work......

Does anyone else have 2 cents on G5 vs. microsynth?
  12. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Hey, I can't recall ever trying that combo. Will do. --edit: Oops. I see that is the original topic of the thread.

The MicroSynth can make some crazy sounds. I listened to one of the old Bootsy's Rubber Band Albums a couple of days ago. I can make the MicroSynth sound just like his synth (but I can't paly like him). Once you get used to the controls, it's not too hard to change from sound to sound, but If I were playing synth sounds live, I'd take the G5. Presets are pretty handy.

I havn't tried expression pedals with my MoogerFooger MF101 yet. I'm hesitant to spend the money.

13. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
  14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thanks for the samples NEMO! they sound great!

I do like the preset advantage, but there is just something to be said for sliders over the lcd menu screen.. Maybe I'm old fashioned.