1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

envelope filter to add to auto wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billphreets, Oct 4, 2009.

1. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    hi fellas, ive been using the MXR 188 Bass Auto Q recently and i do like the unit , its just i want the touch sensitivity of an envelope filter aswell.. I was just wondering if any of you MXR 188 owners out there (or non owners!!) use it in conjunction with an envelope filter, and if so what is your envelope filter of choice?? unfortunately the hours i work mean i cant get to music stores so any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated ; )

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My envelope filter of choice is a Boss SYB-3 bass synth pedal. I couldn't see using both in an effects rig, and I slightly prefer the envelope filter because of its touch sensitivity.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    EHX Q-TRON: best envelope filter I have ever heard and/or used as well.

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The Q-tron is great as far as touch sensitivity, tone, etc. It does IMO, require a compressor or limiter after to tame it's peaks etc. I also is huge and requires its own 24v power supply. I've tried a couple other filters to try to streamline my board and the EBS BassIQ is running a close second as far as sound plus it doesn't require a compressor (IME), it's small, and runs on 9v. It's also very simple to use, any possible setting sounds good (which means it is less tweakable than the Q-tron).

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I bought a limiter JUST for the Q-TRON! The power supply dosen't bother me as its an amazing pedalm and thats a small sacrifice to pay for drippy goodness!

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    If it were me, I'd think about dropping the 188 altogether and look into a Subdecay Prometheus; The Prometheus is a filter with two modes: Envelope and Stepped (like sample&hold), and the Stepped filter mode is capable of a standard autowah so you would therefor retain much of the 188's functionality while adding an envelope and s&h filter to your pallet, all in one small box taking the place of the 188 that appears to be about the same size (slightly larger than Boss). The Prometheus is relatively tame next to the big Qtron, but it sounds great and has a unique character with excellent touch sensitivity. Out of a long list of filters I've been through and currently own, the Prometheus's envelope is probably the most fun to play imo; you can really sculpt the envelope with adjustments in dynamics and string muting. If you're looking for the wettest filter in town, then you might not be 100% on it, but it sounds great and is just a little more resonant than the Groove Regulator with the resonance dimed, though the GR is arguably a 'funkier' filter.. maybe fatter too, they're pretty close in those regards. The GR also a great filter, and potentially a great compliment to the 188 if you're set on keeping it.

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    im a filter lover, but i have nothing good to say about the q-tron. if you can afford it, (high price, rare, big..) go for the vintage mutron- put it in a true bypass loop, along with a limiter.

or, the much cheaper solution- DODFX25. while i still have a mutron, this $40 pedal will NOT leave my collection. it can do things that the mutron cant, and vise-versa. it also has poor bypass, though. but workable, unlike the mutron's bypass.

almost any good filter is going to need a limiter to tame it, unless you can live with it.. i've found the FX25's peaks to be huge, but i dont use a limiter with mine.