envelope filter under 100??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basserman44, Jul 17, 2000.

1. i've seen two in this price range, the DOD and the bassballs(it is one isnt it?) i was wonderring if there were others in this range and/or which one i should get. thanx

Keep on thumpin
  2. I don't think the bassballs is actually a envelope filter, or a least not the kind that you usually see. The Q-tron is an envelope filter but its kind of pricey. Boss used to produce a Dynamic Filter, the FT-2, you could find it second hand if its not still being produced.
  3. Definately the DOD envelope filter, i love that effect. I tried one at Mars and it sounded perfect for funk, I just loved it, plus it was only 50 bucks, so when i get some cash i might get one.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

American Musical Supply has the DOD FX24B envelope filter for $54.95 plus shipping and handling. Their phone number is 1 800 458 4076. (Disclaimer: I don't work for AMS. I'm just telling you because I had a catalog handy.) You might even be able to find one used. By the way, Flea uses or has used envelope filters in his music. Jason Oldsted
  5. the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    go for a EH Mini Q-tron! less than 100$US...and the best tone!
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't know whether you want an up/down filter or auto wah type.

Try and get the DOD FX-25 rather than the FX-25B, the former doesn't have the blend control of the latter but IMO has more mojo.

The digitech bass synth wah at $80 new has some decent filters and a great octaver. The MXR M-188 autoq can be got used for under $100.
  8. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I know it's not under a bill... but has anyone tried/considered the line6 fm4? I've had an fx25 in the past, not horrible, not great. The 5 seconds I got to try an fm4, it seemed pretty good, and considering how much it can model, it seems worth the scratch, and doesn't monkey up the signal as much as the DOD.

9. the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    well i've tryed teh fm4 for a while...and its pretty cool...but if you are searching for teh classic **** tone...bootsy like stuff...go for a mini q-tron if your budged is low...or if you have 149$us..get the q-tron... it worth the money!
  10. CaptainRaab

Nov 13, 2004
    I HAAAAAAAAAATE the dod env filter. AVOID IT!!! It sucks SO BAD. The filter is not very good, and it drops so much volume out when you turn it on. The digitech bass synth is a bit better for filter. I've had it almost a year, but never use it for the filters. It still drops a lot of tone out and the blend just doesn't allow enough dry signal through to get a good balance.

With an envelope filter I recommend DI'ing your tone pre-FX, then DI'ing again after FX. This prevents losing balls when you turn on fx.
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The Guyatone bottom wah rocker is decent for the money...
  12. I like the E-H Bassballs, but it's really a twin dynamic filter.
  13. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    If you are using a stompbox filter, would you require an expression pedal to control the resonance, or alternatively would you just have to rely on the speed it is automated?
  14. The Pigtronix.com EP-1 runs between 220 and 280 US with a super-sweet Envelope plus a Phaser. The expression pedal controls the speed of the Phaser and by using the Trigger side-chain with a volume pedal you can get a great wah out of the Envelope side.
  15. dave42

Dec 2, 2004
    i love the sound that it makes although the blend is compleatly useless and should be left at 12 o clock