1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope Filter: which one should i buy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, May 3, 2010.

1. EHX Q-Tron+

13.6%
  2. MXR M82

22.9%
  3. Groove Regulator

37.3%
  4. other (name it in the thread)

27.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    This has already been a long journey to find the perfect envelope filter for my pedal board. I already have the DOD FX25-B which i really don´t like (heavy volume drop and never found cool settings) and the Exar "Pig Nose" is also not my friend.

So which one do you recommend?

2. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I Say a qtron. I use a micro qtron

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You haven't said what you do like with an evelope filter other than that you don't want a volume drop. I haven't played with the MXR but the other two each have different character from one another.

4. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    i use both a q-tron + and an emma discumbobulator.. both fantastic pedals!
    the emma is quite a subtle filter , sounds GREAT with a fuzz before it!!
    i had a volume pot added to my q-tron to tame some of the volume spikes that they are notorious for and im tending to use it a lot more these days, can get REAL wet sounding.. the inbuilt fx loop is awesome as you can add effects after the q-trons pre-amp but before its filter section, so the envelope drive isnt affected.. truly great feature!! (the 3leaf also has an internal effects loop)
    i cant comment on the MXR or the 3leaf................ YET ; )

5. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    if i was a gambling man id bet that the 3leaf groove regulator will come out on top of this poll..

6. I voted for the 3leaf... Mainly because I want one! There isn't much detail in the OP

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'd say the Groove Regulator, but then again it depends on what you're looking for in an envelope filter.

8. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    I have a boss aw-3 dynamic wah. Drips w/ groove. Very funky little pedal

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I voted 3 leaf. I loved my old Q-tron but the power requirement was a drag and the MXR was cool but a little limited. The Groove Regulator is probably going to be my next purchase.

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    From the aspect of price vs features vs versatility I'd vote the Subdecay Prometheus, but out of the options you've listed, the 3Leaf would be my weapon of choice!

11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Ibanez/Maxon AF-9

12. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    The flaw in your questioning...

You asked wich ONE should I buy. Thats a no-no here.

3 minimum!!!!!

MXR, Snow white and a Q-tron.

13. I'm of this opinion, lol! There are too many envelope filters out there for you to ask about which one you should buy without giving us an idea of the tone you're looking for.

The MXR sound very cool and unique but is a little limited as some have said before, and the 3Leaf is a great all around filter. The Q-tron+ can get some sweet sounds but they can be tough to dial in and I don't like the fact that it has a gain control as opposed to a sensitivity control (even more frustrating is the fact that the Enigma: Q-balls has a sensitivity control but it "acts" like a gain!). If I had to choose one and it would be my only filter it would probably be the 3Leaf.

However, if you could tell us what sound(s) you're looking for, we could much more easily suggests something for ya' :).

14. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    +1. Maxon AF-9 has about 2, maybe 3 sounds maximum, but they are all disgustingly awesome envelope filter tones. My advice: filters are really personal effects and you'll almost definitely wind up trying more than one. I'd think about what you want it do specifically and then go for that. I can't think of a single filter that ever did everything I wanted out of a filter, and the ones that were able to do more usually did so at the cost of sonic quality in a specific category.

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Groove Regulator, easily. FWIW it's the only pedal on my board that will never leave.

16. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    +1 The Prometheus is great, especially for synthy electronic music. Polish Hate-->Prometheus-->ODB-3=:D

17. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    I've never tried the other 2 but I own the 3Leaf and really enjoy it. Great pedal!

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I currently own a Qtron, 3Leaf and an Xotic RobotalkII. They are all very unique. The 3Leaf is so good sounding, easy to dial in and has no noise or volume drop issues. The QTron sounds so wet and delicious but is huge, a pain in the ass to power and has a volume spike that becomes dangerous at higher volumes.

The Robotalk II seems to be overlooked for some reason. It is not as warm as the 3 leaf but is much more intense. It has two individual filters that can be switched between or blended. It has volume controls and dry/wet blend as well as a bunch of internal switches so it can be setup to work really well with bass. Its a quality filter that really should be considered.

I am stoked to try the new MXR but I wonder if it can compare to the 3leaf.

19. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    EHX Enigma wouldn't be a bad choice either.

20. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I just got the MXR and it's a really good sounding filter. I like it alot but just like we all do, I'm really wondering about the 3leaf as I'd like to A/B the two...keeping my eyes open on the classifieds as soon as I sell some other stuff.