1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope filter with Tap tempo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by That Coyote, Nov 1, 2017.

1. That Coyote

That Coyote

Apr 7, 2017
    I’m looking to replace my Dunlop mini wah with an envelope filter with Tap Tempo. I find the wah too one dimensional and I’d really like more tone variety and options. At the same time I like what I can do rythmically with the wah so a Tap option for quick on the fly ability to have a rhythmic wah effect is key as well. Any and all suggestions welcome.
    Thanks!

2. The only envelope filter with tap tempo that I know is the SolidgoldFX Funkzilla (but there must be others out there). I haven't tried it, though, so I can't comment on it.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    An envelope filter is called such because it responds to the 'envelope' or volume of the incoming signal. Just nitpicking, but if it's controlled by an LFO it's no longer an envelope filter!

These are the ones I know of with tap tempo:

EHX Blurst
    Boss AW-3
    Source Audio Manta
    Subdecay Proteus and Prometheus

If you want to be able to flick between cycling auto-wah and envelope control on the fly, then I think the Manta is probably your only option out of the above.

4. The Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer (which has the Agent 00funk built in) also has tap tempo but good luck finding one!

dinoadventures and FenderB like this.
  5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Subdecay Prometheus DLX

6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Pro

alecduncan likes this.
  7. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Source Audio Manta has a tap tempo

alecduncan likes this.
  8. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Guyatone Ultron GST-U05

9. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    You can acheive this with a Line 6 M5 too

10. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I want a compressor with tap tempo too.

11. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    The Funkzilla has LFO control and envelope control. The LFO offers multiple waveforms and the speed can be controlled by tap tempo or by expression. Very cool pedal. Have a like-new one for sale if you're interested. :thumbsup:

12. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Another +1 for the Source Audio Manta or Bass Envelope Filter. The Funkzilla was cool but imo not as deep as the Source Audio pedals. The Line6 M5 filters are passable, but definitely not even close to the quality of the Source Audio or SolidgoldFX.

Another option is to combine an EHX 12 Step Program with just about any filter that has an expression pedal. I use my Source Audio Reflex to program weird tempos to control my Moog filter.

Omega Monkey and Proton Lenny like this.
  13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The Blurst comes to mind. It’s essentially a filter with an oscillator rather than depending on your dynamics.

14. Envelope filter is controlled by dynamics; an autowah runs the filter on an LFO. There are units that do both, but it makes no sense to call it an "envelope filter" if the envelope follower is not being used.

The SA Manta does both, but the setting between both is static. Some others "morph" from envelope follower to autowah as the volume decays. The WMD SuperFatMan did this, although I never really gelled with that filter. I found it very hard to dial in.

15. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Wow....
    Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer | eBay

16. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Wow, $350 or best offer is pretty darn good for perhaps the sexiest sounding filter out there. Setting it up is bit hard to get use to, but after you come up with a few patches it starts to seem natural. I wish Chunk would update these pedals but I think the guy who ran the company has sadly moved on.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  17. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    SGFX Funkzilla. I played through on once and it was awesome.

Also the Broughton A S U R E S K I E Z

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A “bit hard” is an understatement- the UI on the Octavius was atrocious. I had one from the original batch- I initially could barely trigger the filter; they had to increase the sensitivity to accommodate players who didn’t ram the input with heavy plucking or a high output bass. The customer service from Chunk was great, but it was a complex product that really needed a good software editor at a time when that wasn’t really a thing.

19. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    I don't think so, it is rather easy after you look at the flow diagram and spend and hour with it. That said I have 100s of hours over nearly a decade with it. Problem is he wasn't hugely intuitive when he named and ordered things in the menu, but it really is simple once to know it. I have tried at least one version of most envelope and auto wah filters; the OS is my favorite.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021