Envelope Filters with Expression Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beebassdude, Mar 4, 2016.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    I'm looking to get a setup where i have an envelope filter that i can control the sweep with an expression pedal. if you've seen the hot hands wobble ring thing, im essentially trying to get that but foot controlled.

my first question is: does the envelope filter need to be a specific type with an expression pedal option? i currently own an old DOD Fx25 that i like a lot but im not sure if i can use it with an expression pedal.

second question is: whats a good recommended expression pedal? im open to all suggestions, not too concerned if its pricey as long as its good quality.

let me know guys, thanks!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    3Leaf Wonderlove, Source Audio Manta, Electro-Harmonix Enigma:Qballs to name a few with expression control.

Though maybe it is a wah pedal you're looking for?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    MYLOWFREQ and Nunovsky like this.
  3. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    no not a wah, just something where i can control the "envelope" if you will.

does the pedal have to have expression control for me to even make this work? i would assume it does, which means my FX25 is out.

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It sounds to me like a wah - but whatever.

I'd go for either Wonderlove or a Moog Mf-101

5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
  6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Oh and get a hot hand as well, they are freakin' awesome

Check videos on @nathannavarro who is on here and a really cool guy as he spends time giving advice lesser mortals like me on stuff

7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    If you control the sweep of the frequency range with an expression pedal - which is what every filter that I've ever seen does when it has expression control is EXACTLY like using a wah. Controlling the "envelope if you will" is not a thing that you do with a filter. So again, just to be clear, what you want is exactly like using a wah pedal.

Impermanence and Bassist4Eris like this.
  8. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    Yes, the pedal has to be able to do expression control. If the DOD doesn't have an expression jack then there's no way to hook the expression pedal up.

All of the pedals @FretNoMore mentioned would have the capability you are looking for, and I would add in the Iron Ether Xereograph Deluxe. I have both the Manta and Iron Ether and they work well.

For expression pedals, if you want a high level of functionality and don't mind higher price you can go with the Source Audio Reflex, if you want to save some money and give it a try to see if it's what you want, you can just go for a Moog EP-3 (can be found for $40).

9. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for. I suspect you are looking for something like the wonderlove. But, in the event that we are not understanding what you want, your best bet would be a Source Audio Manta and a SA DEP. You can choose any adjustment in the Manta to be controlled by the DEP or HH.

The Moog MF101 also has a more than the usual exp controllable features, although not nearly as many as the Manta. If the Manta does not have what you are looking for, I don't know what does really.

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.
  10. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    It sounds to me like you have a lot of learning to do about "envelope filters". There are many parameters related to envelope filters as you can see by the suggestions above.

Where to start: the Moog MF-101 filter manual. Read it. Seriously.

Your FX25 is a wah pedal that is controlled by playing dynamics - specifically, the peak frequency is controlled. In a manual wah pedal your foot controls this frequency.

If you want foot control over the frequency and you know which type of filter you want (ie low pass(Moog), band pass(Wonderlove), or high pass(enigma does it and the others as well as manta) then you have your solutions. Also look at the Iron Ether Xerography Deluxe, or non deluxe even.

If you need something to learn on, get a Manta, then you have expression pedal options and hot hand options.

BIG97BEN and CHILDISHGAMBINO like this.
  11. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    Lol guys, i had the hot hand and it was annoying for me. So if the hot hand controls the sweep or "frequency" (which it did while using an envelope filter) i just want a foot pedal that acts like the hot hand, which i assumed an expression pedal would work.

If i used the wrong terminology in terms of my drscription forgive me, but i dont think what im asking for is anything complicated. Essentially just the hot hand but foot controlled.

12. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

I could never get mine calibrated to the point where it did those gigantic sweeps, which im hoping the expression pedal can do for me.

13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The manta allows you to control anything with either hot hand or expression.

So that's probably your best bet. The Moog is the best analog option.

beebassdude likes this.
  14. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    Plug an expression pedal (Moog EP-3 is cheap), into whatever you plugged the hot hand into. For the most part (unless the plugs were different sizes, but that has a solution) that should basically do what I think you are looking for if I'm understanding correctly.
    Do you have a Manta or BEF pro?

beebassdude likes this.
  15. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hot hand is a labour of love, even the angle it's in your finger/thumb on a daily basis can give a different sound, emphasis, it's all about fun and finding it

beebassdude likes this.
  16. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

I hve the source audio soundblox envelope filter at the moment. I think ill check out the moog one as well, and definitely snag the moog expression pedal.

Thanks guys!

17. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    Agreed, and at shows that became tough. If i wasnt at the exact right space it didnt work right.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Bassist4Eris likes this.
  18. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    My Pigtronix EP2 has an expression input for sweep, it works with my EV5 but I prefer it without. I use the EV5 to control the LFO speed on the phaser side of it.

19. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK

Fxpmusic and BIG97BEN like this.
  20. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Xerograph Deluxe would be great. It's low pass, along the lines of the Moog. It's also a very friendly, standard pedal size.

pbass6811 and BIG97BEN like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021