1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Envelope Filters with FX loops - a fun trick

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phatbass, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I saw this from the Oz Bass Forum and thought some of you guys might be interested,

I tried it with my Qtron+ and it works on that as well. I see a bunch of sick fun happening at some of my upcoming gigs with appropriate drummers...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cool effect. Would probably have worked better with a more pronounced wah. Seemed too subtle in that demonstration. With a Q-Tron opened up it would sound a lot more noticeable.

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Sounds pretty awesome! Kind of sample-and-hold-ish, but I can't see myself using this for anything other than fun noises. Not that there's anything wrong with fun noises mind you! ;)

4. One thing I'm thinking of is a simple signal generator to feed a sine wave through a volume pedal triggering the Qtron+ for a truly sick wah.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...very neato!...

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Cool trick. I think the pollyanna would be great in front of a lowpass with the resonance very low. The pollyanna is very flat and even until the note chokes off, and should make for a nice pulsating (to the beat) wall of bass.

Like an (sine) lfo controlling the frequency cutoff?

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    A slow sine would would do the LFO trick too. But a higher pitched one can be used with a volume pedal to produce a wah effect. I learned from speaking to the builder of the WMD Fatman that you can't just use a CV pedal because the envelope follower blocks DC voltage. That might not necessarily be the case with the QTron etc, you might be able to use a cheapo Behringer CV pedal instead of a signal generator + volume pedal.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    woot! 3leaf getting some recognition!

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    That's what I thought too.

Oh, and I really love my Qtron+ with the assmaster in the loop.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    My favourite one is setting up a down-sweep with rhythm guitar providing the envelope. We tried that with my Meatwad last summer for this House-type tune and it sounded ace.

11. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Cool trick.

12. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    rad....very rad.

13. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Exciting, isn't it? :D

They told me the review was slated for the June issue.

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    good job spencer!

15. thats really cool--it reminds me of the X-gate effect on my keyboard

16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    big ups now i'm gassing for a groove rugulator again!

17. The idea is that the frequency cut-off in the Qtron+ is determined by the LEVEL of the input signal. The actual nature of the triggering input signal doesn't matter as long as it's "audio". It could be a sine wave, pink noise, or a key on a cheap Casio keyboard held down with gaffa tape; all that matters is that there is some audio triggering input.

Varying this triggering input with a volume pedal will proportionately vary the cut-off frequency acting on the Bass' input (remember; the Bass is plugged into the effects return). Thus the cut-off changes in realtime as you move the pedal through it's sweep.

Et Voila! Instant sick- wah. :D

18. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    How is this different than the Boss Slicer thingy?

19. The Boss slicer affects amplitude, i.e. chops out the volume of the note, while this affects amount of frequency cut.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wonder if i could hook that up with a 'fooger.

hmm.