1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope Filters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marson, Jan 5, 2008.

1. I love the sound of them and hear them on a few recordings. I'm looking around to get one but I don't know where to start. Could anyone suggest company name/models of envelopes filters please so I atleast have a starting point?

Thanks in advance

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Emma Discumbobulator.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A quick search on "envelope" or "filter" will turn up a broad range of options.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If you want more information on specific models, you should do a search for "envelope filters" and you'll get more threads than you have time to read.

That said, here's a list to get you started

Electro Harmonix - Qtron or mini Qtron
    Boomstick - Bottom Feeder (check Tonefactor.com)
    EMMA - Discombobulator
    Moog - Low Pass Filter
    DOD - FX25 or FX25B
    Pigtronix - Envelope Phaser (EP-1)
    Chunk Systems - 00Funk
    Maxon - AF9
    EBS - BassIQ

5. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    DOD FX25, MuTron III, Electroharmonix Q-Tron, Q-Tron +, and Micro Q-Tron are all popular examples. I'm an old FX25 man.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Do you guys consider the Bassballs envelope filters?

7. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is one.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Haha I was just checking, no one mentioned it.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yep, though I believe the full size one is being discontinued. I haven't played the Nano version to say how close the sound is to the older model.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I just ordered a nano, so let's hope it sounds good.

11. well that was quick , thanks alot. I will do a search for it as well but I just needed some names to start with so i can get a idea of what they look like , how much space they'll take on a board etc....

12. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    I hear the lovetone meatball is nice as well. A bit expensive though :)

13. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Nothing comes close to its tone though...

But I'm working on an envelope filter right now that is based of the Meatball's circuitry but easier to use.

Right now, though, the EMMA is great for the price.

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...get a used Maxon AF-9, it's a fantastic box...you can probably find a mint one w/box & instructions for around $125-130 shipped, maybe less...

15. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    +1

Fantastic stomp box. Best you can get for the money IMO.

16. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I'm gonna take a wild guess here and assume that the Maxxon AF-9 is based on the old Ibanez AF-9?

If so, I heartily second the endorsements. I've had an Ibanez in my pedaloard since 1986, and it's been every bit as versatile as the Mutron III I used to own, but takes up 1/4 the floor space.

IMHO, if an envelope-controlled filter doesn't at least have all the features of a Mutron or AF-9, you're missing out on a lot of very cool sounds. You don't necessarily need all those features to do the idiomatic Bootsy "bow wow bip bwap" stuff, but there are some really unique tones not available from the less comprehensive pedals.

17. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yes, the Maxon unit is the same as the old Ibanez one.

I agree with the comments about the Mutron too. The Maxon/Ibanez and the Mutron share the same controls, and use similar circuitry and components to achieve their sound, therefore making the Maxon one of the best filters out there.

18. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    i had a chance of trying an af-9 today. sounds really good! doesn't lose any low end at all. my order is already on the way!

19. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I have an FX25 that I got for 40$ on ebay and it's has plenty of slurpiness for the meantime.

20. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I was disappointed with the EMMA. I liked it a lot in my headphones (really wet and liquidy) but when I plugged it into an amp and used it in a full band setting, it sounded completely different than how it sounded in my headphones. It was really subtle (in a live band setting) and you couldn't hear the gulps and swells very well; it didn't cut through the mix. I think the Boomstick Bottom Feeder (or ToneFactor 442 Red) is a better more pronounced "dry" or "subtle" filter than the EMMA especially in a full band setting. The best filter I have ever used in a full band has been the Boomstick and I have tried a ton of filters. I really liked the Boomstick a lot. I am also trying the Maxon out. I'm might just keep both of them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021