1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Envelope Filters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thawk1979, Jan 7, 2012.

1. thawk1979

thawk1979

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm interested in hearing what you good folk have to say about this subject. I have gone through 3 Mu Trons. Love the sound but they crap out. I currently have a Moogerfooger MF-1 low pass filter but can't seem to get it set just to my liking. What do you guys like and why?

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I have tried quite a few different filters and my fav is the 3-Leaf Audio GR with effects loop. Almost all my effects are in it and I use a LS-2 as a workaround to having everything in and out of the effects loop as needed. Sounds subtle, warbly, bubbly, or. En downright funky nasty if need be. All me pedals besides delay sound good in its loop

3. You should check out the 3 leaf Proton pedal if you like MuTron
    Proton Envelope Filter | 3Leaf Audio

My tastes are so different I use a Boss AW3, EHX modded Bass Balls & Zoom B2 for my envelope needs on my board.
    I also have an use from time to time EHX Dr Q, Q-Tron, stock Bass Balls, Digitech BP8 and AdrenaLinn III that all have very cool envelope effects. I seem to prefer low rent and simpler effects in general.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I messed around with the MXR BEF and thought it was pretty cool for what it did.
    I'd like to pick up a Source Audio BEF Pro next, and I want to try out the Aguilar Filter Twin.

I used to have a Guyatone Ultron, that was pretty cool. I just couldn't justify the price tag for how often I used it back then, so I got rid of it.

5. I just got the Source Audio BEF for Christmas and it is very cool. It's somewhat different than most EFs in terms of controls, but it has lots of different possibilities. I don't think you could go wrong with a Xerograph Deluxe, either.

6. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    I swear by the MXR that thing is amazing but thats just me.

7. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    I love mine too. The only other that has caught my ear is the 3 leaf.

8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The filter twin is much wetter and more organic than the MXR.

9. MXR is the winner for me

10. thawk1979

thawk1979

Jan 7, 2012
    Well, I'm looking for one that has a bootsy p-funk style. Plus some other bells and whistles.

11. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I also got the Source Audio BEF for Christmas and it has been alot fo fun to play around with. You can definitely get those great funk sounds and if you're creative enough, which I'm still working on, you can get some other real cool sounds out of it too.

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    3leaf Audio makes a killer Mu Tron clone in the Proton. Give it a look.

Want something more mellow? 3LA GR2
    Want wetter? MXR
    Want a low-pass? Iron Ether Xerograph

13. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose.

Aug 31, 2011
    Almanya
    Want more throaty, almost vocoder-like? Put an EHX Nano Dr. Q behind the MXR. Not too useful for bass on its own, IMO, but really nice to send a "tame" quack over the top.

14. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Have and love both the 3Leaf GR-2 and SA BEF Pro. The GR-2 has a lot of sonic possibilities, the SA has many many more, and with the backpage menu, the tweakability is overwhelming.

15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    My favorite for P-Funk is the EHX Q-Balls. And with the Start/Stop, Blend, and Distortion (which is more like fuzz, IMO) it's plenty versatile.

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    +1 I love mine. It isn't all that versatile, not near as versatile as the GR2, but it's the most stage ready EF I've tried. You can't make it sound bad.

Te GR2 is the best EF on the market in my opinion. I chose the Filter Twin for it's ease of use.

17. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I haven't had the MXR that long and it sounds really good but it seems like mostly a funk pedal. I was really hoping for a filter pedal that does something more how should i say psychedelic. Hard to describe exactly what I mean but any recommendations for settings would be appreciated.

18. Add another notch on the MXR pole for me :D

19. J2Kbass

J2Kbass

Nov 14, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    I have the mxr as well and I like the level of control you have.

I saw people mentioning SA BEF PRO. I have their pro distortion and find a lot of the settings not be useful while playing in a live setting. Some settings just can't cut well.

I know every pedal is different,even within 1 manufacturer. Does the SA BFE work well in a live band setting? How would you describe it's "standard" BEF sounds?

Any response is greatly appreciated

20. I used to have the MXR. It was alright. It's a nice filter, just not my cup of tea. I have an Emma DiscomBOBulator that I really like. It's a bit on the subtle side but it sounds more organic and great after dirt which the MXR(at least for me)didn't.