1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope War! DOD Fx25 vs MXR M82

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChandlerCornell, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Alright everyone, I'm in the market for a new envelope filter and have these two in mind, the ORIGINAL DOD FX25 (not the b version) and MXR M82. I've seen many videos of the ORIGINAL FX25 and love that thick, rubbery sound it has. I've also seen many videos on the MXR M82, and as versatile as it is, I haven't heard it do that thick, rubbery sound. Does it hold that sound deep within? To sum it up, which pedal can achieve that thick tone best? Give me your input!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. I own the MXR M82. I don´t have some drop of volume, but depending of the setting I got some spikes. Not a lot of of volume but the spike it´s there.

For me the main feature it´s to have two separated controls to adjust the dry and wet signal. I find it a very interesting thing for avoid be burried in the mix. I must say that it works in Band Pass mode, that in my opinion, it works perfectly for slapping and soloing. You can get good tones for fingering too, but it will never sound so fatter that a Low Pass mode.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I liked the M82 better than the DOD, but for me the Aguilar Filter Twin smoked them both.

4. I have both of these pedals - they are night and day different from each other. I find the FX-25 to be a big ungainly in the peaks and troughs in volume it offers up, could be great for recording because it does get super wet, but I use mine as a low pass filter- just turn the Sensitivity all the way down and Range about 50% or a little higher for some resonance on the low freqs.

The MXR is ok, I am not in love with it though. I would consider the Aguilar (my bass was too hot on the input side for the Aggie effects though...) or a 3Leaf Audio Proton or Wonderlove, both of which are usable and can provide some very liquid squelchy tones. The Source Audio Manta is also very flexible, although I find the different control suite somewhat harder to dial in, it has so much versatility it's ridiculous.

5. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I have owned both of those pedals. The MXR is super versatile and the fact that is has 2 knobs to blend the wet and dry makes it extremely useful. I loooooved the tone of the DOD but I was ALWAYS lost in the mix. The thing cut volume like it was it's job. Horrible volume loss. I found it to be completely useless live so it became a recording only pedal for me. The MXR is a great and versatile filter. It can't do that exact quacky rubbery sound as well as the DOD but can do just about every other tone. Unless you start getting into pricey filters. I have a Xerograph Deluxe on the way which I am very excited to try. I also hear fantastic things about the Source Audio Manta!

6. Did you have the fx25b or fx25? I have the fx25b and it has an insane volume drop. But the original fx25(not the b version) I heard has a boost in volume. I just love that quacky tone.

7. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    DOD FX-25B - unbelievable volume drop (is there no mod-fix for this???)
    DOD FX-25 - also volume drop
    MXR M82 - best compromise
    SA Manta - overdosed filter, but i´m still in the learning phase, like it
    -----
    Exar Pignose - discontinued, but i like it somehow
    EHX Q-Tron(+) - never got a great tone out of it, volume boost, don´t like
    3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator - also a very nice envelope filter

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Here is some good stuff about filters, with a special mention of the DOD FX25 in the last paragraph. It's worth reading for those of you who own the DOD, and are disappointed in the volume drop. It's not part of the design, but a malfunction, and one that is easily repairable.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/filter.shtml

The article also mentions that the pedal puts out a lot of spikes, and works best with a limiter after it. That's worth weighing in to the cost, IMO.

FWIW, I have the MXR. I can't compare it to the DOD because I have no experience with the latter pedal. I'm not sure about "rubbery", but it does that vocal, vowel-y thing very nicely. I also find it to be the most responsive of the filters I've owned (previously: Boss AW3, EHX Micro Q, EXH Enigma). In other words, I find I can get a wider variety of tones out of it using dynamics alone than I could with my previous units. It also has (to my ears) the best slap tone of the four BY FAR.

9. I agree. It cuts throught the mix so well.

10. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I had the DOD FX25. The bright green one with the 2 large knobs. NOT the FX25B that is a more turquoise color. I tone was great but the volume drop was completely awful. I ended up selling it on here and I am kinda sad. I should have kept it for studio use.

11. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY

Skip to the 2 minute mark. I consider that a pretty quacky tone and that is an MXR.

12. Thank you for all the input so far guys! I can see everyone is liking the M82. What are some other envelopes you guys are digging?

13. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    the moogerfooger LPF, also the source audio stuff is quite cool.. worth checking out

14. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    try and get one which u can use with an expression pedal..

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I have a bunch of envelope pedals (including the MXR and an FX25 among many others) and my favorite is the SA manta or their BEF pro.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own both and they are two different filters.

I use them for their uses and I have no issues with volume spikes, or volume loss from either pedal.

Digitech and MXR endorser.

17. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    The Manta is suppose to be really sick. I would be interested in trying one. I have had the Qtron, DOD fx25, DOD fx25b, MXR, Enigma Q-balls, bass balls, and a couple others a had a long time ago that I cant thing of right now. MXR is best out of all those. Hands down. The manta really interests me though. And the Xerograph deluxe is suppose to be great which you can attach an expression pedal to.

18. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    WMD Fatman or super Fatman filters are great. Very easy to dial in. The SA Manta is extremely versatile and intuitive once you learn how to craft a sound out of it. I suggest checking into these pedals.

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hey John, I've got a Manta, and I'm having a a little trouble in trying to emulate the fat, quacky sound of my M82 with it. Do you have any any suggestions? Which filter wold you use?

20. I ended up settling with the MXR M82. It's awesome! It takes a little bit to get the quacky tone, but once it's set, it sounds great.