EnvelopeFilter Problem

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by danqi, Jan 26, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Hi Mike,

I have read somewhere that you use the EBS Bass IQ. I just got mine and do not have much experience with it.
    I thought maybe you could help me out since you surely know more about it.
    Whenever I attack the strings a little harder in the "up" or the "hi-Q" mode it sounds like the filter can not handle the signal anymore and distortes the sound. This happens especially easily when I switch to the bridge pickup. If I attack any softer the wah effect is not audible any more.
    Do you think my BassIQ is damaged?
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have not had that problem, therefore I am at a bit of a loss to help. If your bass is active, I would make sure that both the bass and the Bass IQ have fresh batteries. I would also experiment freely with the Threshold and Attack knobs. I have found that subtle changes in the settings really effect the sound a great deal. I have my threshold "straight up" and my Attack set to around 11 o'clock. From there I move it VERY little. Good luck and let me know how things work out.

3. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Thanks for your advice, I exchanged the batteries and the BassIQ responds a little better now. Unfortunately the problem is still there.
    Probably the BassIQ just does not work well with my bass. Maybe I will try to return it and order a Q-Tron instead.