Environmental conditions and warping necks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi all,

I routed the TR channel (first time with it) and it turned out great! I'm absolutely stoked on it, and I just finished bandsawing out the final rough shape of the neck. But, of course, God (feel free to substitute your deity for "God") has thrown me a curveball.

As some of you who live in or near the Sacramento area in Ca., up until about 4 days ago our weather has been obnoxiously nice. Unfortunately, the temp has shot up and it's gotten a touch humid. I'm doing all of my cutting, carving, etc. in my workshop/garage with lots of ventilation. Still, it gets pretty warm in there. I'm now a bit concerned that taking the neck blank from indoors out to the garage for a few hours and then bringing it back in might cause warpage, swelling, twisting, or what have you. It's wenge/purpleheart lam., and is still uniformly 1" thick (except for the headstock), so it's pretty sturdy. Still, I'd poop if it got ruined by the environmental shifts. I'm going from about 80 indoors to upper 90's outdoors.

Is there a way to smooth out the transition? For instance, if working in the afternoon, should I leave the neck in the garage to slowly cool down as night comes on, and then bring it inside? Or, should I put off work for a few days until things cool down?

2. I'll probably get blasted for this but I'm of the mind that a laminated neck like that should be the strongest type of construction and the least susceptible to changes in atmospheric condition of any type we can build. That said, I wouldn't worry about the brief time it spent in either place considering it's going to get buttoned up with the topwood soon anyway. Besides, leaving it in one condition for it's entire construction time wouldn't be much different than it's actual life would be after birth when it lives in one place for a long time.