1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Environmentalism in your everyday life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 14, 2006.

1. I speak for the trees, and do their bidding

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. I conserve a little, but nothing serious

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  3. I live the way I want

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. I drive monster trucks and eat exotic flowers

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. I plant carrots daily for a healthy harvest

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm just wondering how willing you are to protect the environment when going about your daily life. I'm no crazy environmentalist freak, but I'll do some little things, make sure the lights are turned off as often as possible, always remember to turn off a tap, turn the heat down even if I'm a little cold. Basically minor inconveniences at the most. Beyond that, the environment is on its own.

When going through your daily life, do you try and keep a piece of mind on the affects your actions have on the environment? Do you go further, and join groups and whatnot? Or do you simply live your life the way you want? I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone here, or force my views on anyone, this is just genuine curiousity.

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I probably live somewhat like you do. I don't think I'm 'saving the planet' by throwing my garbage in a can. It's more of a respect thing for people around me and for the planet that God gave us.

3. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh

I do those things to save myself money.:)

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

LOL

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    +1

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think two of the more mis-understood terms when considering environmentalism are conservation and preservation. Conservation has more to do with the use/exploitation (note: exploitation does not always = bad) of natural resources while preservation goes along the lines of maintaining a pristine, untouched ecosystem. Although the examples may be rather extreme, but consider a conservationalist to be an engineer researching alternative fuel sources, or a farmer who uses environmentally safe additives and/or hybrid crops for cultivation. Consider a preservationalist to be more likely to lay in front of a bulldozer in the rainforest or one who lobbies to prevent the development of areas considered to be wilderness.

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I think most of us are environmentalists up to the point where it begins to inconvenience our daily lives. Sure, we'll recycle our glass, cans and newspapers as long as someone picks it up from our curb, but if we need to drive to the local recycling center and separate/segregate the stuff ourselves chances are pretty good that a large percentage of us won't want to be bothered.

We all want to save trees, but we're going to be less likely to buy recycled copy paper if it's $2.50 a ream more. None of us want to have chemicals seeping into our groundwater, but a lot of people will be spraying weed killer on the lawns to get rid of dandelions and crabgrass.

I'm the GM of a fairly good-sized environmental construction company (we cap landfills and clean up industrial hazardous waste sites) .... we're not doing this because we're so heavily concerned about the environment, we do it because we make a boat-load of money.

Think you're really concerned about the environment? Ask yourself this question;

- Where does your household garbage end up after you put it on the curb? Do you really know where its final resting place is? I'm willing to guess that the great majority of people have no idea where the waste products from our normal lives go once we're done with them ..... We are our own environmental pollution machines ......

BTW, I'll be glad to "recycle" your old basses if you don't know what to do with them .... :cool:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    pointbass nailed me dead on, except for the yard chemicals part. I won't pay more for recycled paper, or other products from recycled items. If the people pressing the recycled issue would charge normal price for the stuff, I'd buy it all the time.

Although I did feel good about myself for about a week after I started a recycling program here where I work. All I had to do was call the garbage company, and they brought out some recycling bins to put in our lunch room. They also put paper recycling bins by everyones desk.

-Mike

9. So, anybody purchase any exotic-wood-constructed basses lately?

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    No, but I did club a baby seal, threw my old car batteries in the local duckpond, and shot a bald eagle.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Fried seal, and roasted eagle, or the other way around?

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005

Attached Files:

13. I recycle paper products, but thats about it.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i recycle everything my town lets me, take the bus too school and for leisure (around the city). I try to pick up trash if i see it laying around. I have participated in some earth day rallies and stuff like that. My family has always been big into the nature/outdoors thing so i kinda grew up with it. I have been in more natural parks and reservations than i can remember.

The way i see it is that God gave us this planet, the least we could do is be good stewards of what he has given us.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I do my bit for the environment by voting in a goverment that gives a **** about said environment.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I drive a SUV, but when I am off-roading or hunting i usually pick up everyone’s trash. Bottles, plastic, all that kind of trash that people leave on the road or anywhere else also kill the fires people leave behind and all that good stuff. I think everyone I know does that too when hunting. But it really is for selfish reason…

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I voted Carrots because nothing really described me that well. I'm a member of a couple of environmental groups. I've been involved in fighting Sulfide Mining and Natural Gas Drilling in certain MI. Wilderness areas. But most environmental zealots seem to be more interested in imposing their "earth religion lifestyle" on me then do in actually doing something for the enviorment.:rolleyes:

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +1E10

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You might be hanging with the wrong environmental zealots, too.

20. Plastic bags clog landfills. Paper bags biodegrade, but takes a long time. Baby seal bags, though, are ideal. And they're so soft and comfortable to carry.

Randy