Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ep-3 replacement pick ups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Feb 23, 2006.

1. i was just wondering is i could replace the pickup on my epiphone EB-3 with a basslines musicman replacement pickup ? or are there pick ups made for my bass specificly

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    DiMarzio makes a replacement for the neck pickup, the Model 1. check their website. not sure about any replacements for the bridge pup.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Someone is selling bridge pickups on eBay, but they may be Epi's. I have a Dimarzio Model 1 wired with an in and out of phase switch installed in my 68 EBO converted to an EB3. I found the Dimarzio to be much more versatile and cut better in a live situation. It also reflects the acoustic tone of the bass more acurately. The Gibson purists will recommend you find an original Mudbucker.

[​IMG]

4. thanks alot what kinda of tone would i end up getting from the dimarzio do u stongly reccomend??

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I haven't played an Epi eb3 so I don't know what they sound like. The Gibson mudbucker was too bassy, the notes played were indistinct and got lost in the mix with the band. The DiMarzio in series retained the tone I was hearing acoustically with not as much wool. In parallel it is a bit thinner in tone but cuts much better with the band.

Before changing out the pickup you might try a few different set of strings in light, medium, and heavy gauge to see if that doesn't help your tone. I use roundwound nickels.