Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi 110UL or EBS Neo 110?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FR5, Sep 1, 2004.

1. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I've finally decided to trade in my G&K MB150S after using it for small gigs for about 10 years. I am now looking at the Epifani T110UL and EBS Neo110 cabs to replace it (I will be using my Glockenklang Soul top for power).

Has anyone used either of these cabs as stand alone during rehearsals and small gigs? I use the Epi T410 for larger gigs and I love the sound of it, but I am not sure how the 110 holds up against the EBS.

I play mostly pop/jazz/gospel repertoire and play a custom 5-string fretless bass. Any comments would be nice to help me decide (apart from me trying out both cabs of course). Thanx.

Steven

2. The G&K MB150 has 12 speaker, so why don't look for a Epi 12 or EBS neo 12? I'm also looking fore a 12 cab and have decided to go with the Epi 1x12UL then I can use it my Epi 2x10UL. I run them with my EBS Fanfer and it sounds great!

3. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Yes I could also consider the 12 inch versions, but portability is very important to me (ebing an old geezer and all) and if the sound of the 10 inch is convincing enough I will go for that. Then again, I could trade the Epi T410 as well and go for the 2x10 and 1x12 like you have. Hmmmmmm.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A third option as you are in the Netherland is Hevos. Ive never tried them but have read only great things about them. Also Tech soundsystems make light and great cabs.
    www.hevos.nl
    www.tech-soundsystems.com

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    techsound system seems to make incredible cabs and amps.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried the EBS, but I own both a Hevos Midget and two Epifani T-110UL's. If you are interested in how the Midget and the T-110Ul sound, let me know.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sorry for hijacking, but Im really interested in that duel. :bag:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, if no one minds (which I hope you don't), here is what I recently posted on another thread (about the ACME Low B-2 versus the EA VL-210) - yeah, I got a little bit "off topic" there as well... :rolleyes:

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a gk 200mb, as well as epi 110UL's
    and 112UL. I've also used the ebs neo's.
    The epi 110Ul with the fafner will blow away
    the gk150. More lows, punch, and volume.
    The 210UL is equally impressive. As much as
    i like the ebs guys, i have to say i think you
    would get more lows and volume out of the
    epi boxes.

10. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands

11. Hey FR5

Don't sell your Epi 4x10. I think that's great cab. I will soon recive my new Epi 4x10UL and then I will sell my EBS 4x10

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi B-string, is there a big difference between the 110UL and the 112UL in your opinion? Especially at higher volumes?

Yes there is a big difference in volume! For its size, the
    110UL is wonderful, but its still just a 10inch speaker.
    The 112UL has a bigger box (still small) and handles
    more power and lows, but the 110UL may be a more
    balanced sound. OOOPS! I just saw that you are using
    a frettless 5. A bergantino 112 would be very nice with
    the Glock and a frettless. The 110UL would still give you
    MUCH more of everything than the GK150.

13. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Thanx to the TB-ers who have shared their opinion with me on this subject and who have helped to solve my dilemma. Yes, I have made up my mind.

Yesterday I visited Edwin van Huik, the Epifani dealer in The Netherlands and my gear supplier for more than 15 years. I had sent an e-mail in the morning stating my intentions and when I dropped by in the afternoon he had it all set up for me: a G&K MB150, Glock Soul, Epi 110UL, Epi 210UL and Epi 112UL (I decided not to go for EBS).

First up was a head-to-head product evaluation (I am a market researcher by profession) of the G&K combo with the Glock-112UL combination. I was impressed with the sound of the Glock-Epi, it sounds more "modern" than the G&K. Having the adjustable tweeter gives you more control of the sound. Not a bad word about the G&K, I have never read a bad review about this product and it has served me well for more than 10 years. But the Epi 112UL has a more "hifi" sound, the G&K is more "straight" (boy, it's hard to put this into words). And the 12 suits better with my fretless bass than a 10 inch cab does.

Then came stage 2: a comparison between the Epi T410 (NYC) that I own and a stack of 210UL and 112UL. I put both lightweights in my car (man that was easy!) and drove to my band's rehearsal studio. The next few hours I fiddled around with it, switching between both cab combinations. No pedal effect board, switching off the tone controls on the Glock. From experience I know that after about 30 minutes of intense listening your ears will get so tired that it all becomes blurred so I had a few 10 minute breaks in between.

There is indeed an obvious difference in sound between the 410 and the 112+210, apart from the fact that the 410 is not the ultralight version. I would say the 4x10 is direct, tight, straight in your face, upfront. The 112+210 is not so direct, the mix of speaker sizes seems to broaden the sound. The lows are not as tight as the 4x10, it required some fiddling with the tweeters to get near to that with the 112+210. But that is not necessarily a bad thing, I have been playing Eden 1x15 and 2x10 for years and I liked that combination also, maybe the 410 was a bit too "sock in the jaw" for me after all.

So yes, I have decided to trade the G&K and the Epi T410 for the 112UL and the 210UL (sorry Hou) and am looking forward to my first gigs with this gear. This weekend I have 2 engagements with the Gospel Choir I used to play with (substituting for their bassist who is on Bonaire, lucky b****). I will only use the 112UL for this, should be enough in a high-roof church, looking forward to this.

So once again thanks for sharing your thoughts, what is left is one more powerlift this afternoon when I bring back the T410 to Edwin.

Steven

14. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Well, the 2 live gigs have passed. My experiences:

Gig1: large church with high ceiling, lots of reflections, no damping materials. I was disappointed with the sound of my Epi 112UL, I had to play at a very low volume and especially with fretless this sucks. Looking more at the fretboard than enjoying my contribution to the music. Tried to boost the mids and highs but to no real effect.

Gig2: small church, better acoustics, almost filled to capacity. This was much better, I also had more time (and opportunity) to place the cab in the best possible position. My bass sounded like a cello at times, an "acoustic feel", never been able to get that out of my G&K combo.

I do agree with statements made by other Epi players that the cabs sound better as you increase the volume. The "naturalness" of your bass really comes shining through then. Last Thursday during the weekly rehearsal night (with my own band) I could finally evaluate the 112 and 210 ultralight in a compact band setting and I had one of those rare moments of musical bliss: I have never played this well before and part of that was due to the incredible sound from the Epi's. It feels like I have found the Holy Grail, the sound in my head comes out of the speakers and I amaze myself with the inspiration that this gives to me.

Well that's enough rambling for now, I just wanted to let you know how happy I am with my new Epi's.

Steven :bassist: :hyper: