1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

epi 2x210ul vs. 410ul

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by curt72, Aug 14, 2007.

1. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    Hi folks

Just wondering if anybody has had the chance to compare two epi UL210s against a UL410. I am playing at the moment an eden wt550 into a UL210 4ohm.

I also own a Schroeder mini12+light 4ohm, but as much as I like this little fella for my jazz/bebop gigs, I don’t think it is a great match with the epi for my louder funk/rock gigs.

For this type of application I do like the epis sound for its rich and creamy bass – I find its somewhat lack of mids is nicely compensated for by the wt550 and my fender jazz tone. I am just running out of steam with a hard hitting drummer with one 210 alone.

So what it boils down to: I have heard all those beautiful things about the UL410, and would like to know how 2xUL210s would compare sound and volumewise (please note also, that 2xUL210 would be 2ohm as opposed to the 4 ohm 410 I would get).

Anybody thoughts on this?

Thanks
    curt

2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This has been discussed very recently, a search would find you some good information.....

The consensus seems to be 2 2x10 Epis are pretty bottom heavy.

Personally I'd go with the UL410 and hang onto the UL210 for medium size gigs and the 1x12 for the really small stuff.

3. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    hi peter, thanks for that.

i did a search but i could not find that particular comparison between 2 x 210s and the 410s. if anybody could copy/paste the particular thread link that would be great.

i can see where you're coming from re: 210s being very bass heavy. now, with the wt550 overkill-eq i am sure one could counter balance this by cutting out those frequencies. i suppose there is probably two views on this:

getting cabs which are heavy on bass allows to eq out bass thus reduce amp load and increase headroom.

on the other hand it seems questionable to combine cabs, which require excessive eq'ing to get them sound right.

hm, difficult. what i like about 210 plus 210 instead of keeping my 210 and getting a 410 is the saving i would make money and space wise. but prime consideration needs to be given to the sound though, whatever it costs...

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This is a pretty long thread but has some good info...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341109&highlight=epi+series+2

FWIW I use a 2x10 (EA NL210) for most gigs. And a Epi NYC212 for really loud gigs. I personally like the sound of that cab although the UL410 would be an easy substitute....

I prefer this to stacking 2 2x10s (NL210s) I personally feel that hauling a single cabinet is just easier to do. The set up and break down is simple. In addition most 2x10 cabinets are voiced to produce a big low end, adding a 2nd to the mix can just be to much for my ears.

As you stated you could simply EQ out the low end not sure you could replicate that mid punch of the UL410 though. You could avoid this with my prior recommendation and from a cost stand point from a UL410 to 210 is only $250. This leaves you with more flexibility and options IMO...

We are in many ways splitting hairs I'm not sure an audience or even many other musicians would notice the difference either way....But that's what we do:meh:

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a UL410 and a UL210 (both Series I). I use the 2x10 for small gigs, the 4x10 for larger gigs and have used both the 4x10 and 2x10 (stacked) for large, outdoor gigs. Having both makes for a VERY flexible cab package!

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    +1!

7. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    thanks, guys

having read that thread peter is referring to it just seems as if the ul410 has exactly the sound i have in my head, healthy bass response but especially super punchy low mids, which would accentuate every dead note and percussive detail, think funky finger style playing.

ohoh, i see a ul410 being shipped to ireland not too soon in the future...:rolleyes:

8. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I hope it works out for you!

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Considering the UL410 would CRUSH that cab. Get yourself a UL410, they are perfect addition to a well balanced bass-tone diet. Yum!

10. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I am not sure what you mean by "crush", if your talking pure volume it doesn't matter much to me as I have absolutely no need for more volume then this can provide, although the UL410 wasn't noticably louder.

When purchasing the NYC212 I had the opportunity to directly compare it to:

UL410
    El Whappo
    El Whappo Jr.
    Glock Double (2x12)
    Bergantino HS410

With both my Glock HeartRock and Epifani UL502....I am sorry but I preffered the NYC212 as my big cabinet option to all of the above.......

11. You know, "a crushing, well-balanced bass tone"...:cool:

12. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.