1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi Allen Woody Rumblekat for "Beatle" bass sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nemo, Jul 10, 2014.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hi, simple question - can Epi Rumblecat pull off same or similar sounds as the Hofner Beatle bass?
    I love thumpy, woody bassy sound of a violin macca bass, but can't get over its shape. Couldn't imagine wearing it. I also don't like too big bodies of full size hollowbodies. So this probably leaves me with Hofner Club or Epi Woody. None of them is here in shops to try.
    In my R'n'R cover band (50's-60's rock and roll classics with some Beatles and Stones thrown in) I currently play Squier CV50 with Jamersons flats, and while I like it, I sometimes feel like I could use the short scale type thumpier sound.
    Opinions? Thank you.

2. Sure, put some flats on it and you're good to go. These basses are pretty well regarded, good bang for the buck.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Absolutely, though not dead on since it's chambered and not fully hollow. It sounds more like the Hofner contemporary series than the icon or German fully hollow bodies. Put some Labella Beatle flats on and you're good to go.

If you love the sound of the Hofner but not the violin shape, get the Hofner club. Sounds exactly the same. It sucks that you can't try one before you buy it, but there's always the return policy if there's anything wrong with it.
    For $469 you can get the icon club with a hard shell case. $70 bucks more than the Allen Woody which doesn't come with a case.
    http://www.samash.com/hofner-ignition-club-bass-guitar-hhicbxxox
    HHICBXXOX-P.

Edit: Just saw you're in Europe. I don't know what it'll cost there, but it's awesome. I used to own one and regret selling it.

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Thank you all. The Club in black looks pimp too. Might check them out. Too bad Thomann does not carry them in black and the sunburst is out of stock till beginning of September. There is Rumblecat in one e-shop over here so I might try to get it within the return period to try.
    Still the Rumblekat intrigues me very much due to the pickups placement, I like warm, almost boomy thick sound. The bridge pickup in Club would give me just the thin Jaco burp, which I don't need. Isn't the Rumblekat more versatile then? To go from Chuck Berry to Elvis to Stones to Beatles?

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My Hofner Club bass, Violin bass, and RumbleKat sound very different.

6. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    so, getting violin bass sound in non-violin form factor is probably impossible..

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    When I compared my icon club to my buddies icon violin bass, both with labella flats, they sounded identical.

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have had all three--the Woody, a Violin, and a Club.

Can't go wrong with any of them; all are capable of big thump. All three are versatile as well. Well kept secret--Hofners sound great with rounds, too.

The Woody might be a little better for hard rock. I quite like this clip:

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My Hofner Ignition Club sounds very similar but different compared than my Hofner Ignition violin. I prefer the Club for tone and ergonomics.

10. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Gorn Captain,
    Do you happen to recall the width of the club version at the widest part of the belly? I am wondering for comfort. I tried the Epi Allen Woody but did not find it comfortable due to the larger back end of that model. The woody is a beautiful guitar with a good low sound for sure. I would love to try a violin model but it sucks that I can not find any in southern Colorado. Thanks for any advice.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I stopped at one of the music stores I frequent the other day and they had the Rumblekat and the Club Bass hanging up right next to each other. Never saw either before in a shop. Didn't have the time to play them but I'm going to make it a point to do so next time I stop by.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    nemo likes this.