Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aristotle, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Being on a very strict budget for a new bass (no more than 400 max), I've been looking primarily at Epiphone basses. I've sort of narrowed my search down to the Thunderbird IV and the Les Paul Special Bass, both I've heard have weight proportion issues, but I'm a fairly big guy so I think i can handle it. Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice as to which one most people consider to be better or maybe some other good suggestions in the price range, other than the obvious MIM Fenders. Thanks.

2. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    As the owner of an Epi Thunderbird I can vouch for them -- it's a good solid rock bass for the money. Not very versatile, but it does what it does pretty well. I would recommend you look into used Ibanez ATKs -- I just got one for right around $300 and it's now my main bass (over the Epi TB and a Ric 4003). It has a very flexible pre-amp, very quiet electronics and it's built like a tank. Good woods and solid construction too. A complete steal for what I paid for it. I play in a heavy, riff-oriented 3-piece and this baby gets the job done.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Try the EB 3

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I think they stink...;)
    especially in a 5 string...

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

the ones i have played were great. It is better then spending all the $ for a vintage one. I have an Epiphone Jack Casady Bass when it dosent buzz it is great but when it is buzzing keep it away from me i cant stand acoustic buzzing it is so bad on a semi hollow.

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I hope you realize I was being VERY sarcastic...since I have an EB3 as my avatar and an appropriate smilie to indicate my sarcasm...I like mine very much and love the growl it has--and it was affordable to boot!

7. jimothy

jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    Save a few more bucks and get the Epi Jack Casady Signature. It will "tell you" how good or bad you play! Check out www.casadybass.com. It blows away all other Epi basses, and lots of other basses at that! I own a J and P bass and the Jack rules them all! You may be able to find a used one for around $500. If you are a thumper (yawn), I don't really know what to tell you for your price range, some of the old Peaveys are marginal for thump & pop (yawn again).

Don't get a short-scale bass, like the EB-O, they all suck! The E-string should be removed from those things, they are useless! Even Jack Bruce of Cream had to redo the electronics of his Gibson EB-3 to make it sound half-ass. He also had to crank his amps up to 11 ! I had one for 2 weeks and put it on consignment at my local store. It did look cool, though.

Also, don't get any kind of Rogue, they really blow!

I would recommend that you check out a vintage music store for a used bass. Watch out for pawn shops!

8. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Where would I go about aquiring one of those? Or at least getting a better look at one.

9. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I got mine off ebay -- I didn't see any for sale yesterday when I checked, but I think I saw someone with one for sale here at Talkbass.

10. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Alan Woody of the ABB and Gov't Mule didn't do too bad w/ shortscale Gibsons!;)

MF sells his signature Epi for around $480--might be cool, anyone try one ?