Epi EB-3 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Oct 9, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I had an Ibanez ATK 305 sold out from under me not too long ago, so I'm looking for another 5 string. I can get an Epi EB-3 5string in fantastic shape for $275. Would this be a decent first 5er? I do like the neck and the wider spacing on it.
    Also, if I did take it home, are those "Dual Rail" pickups a standard size I could replace with something better down the line, if need be?

Thanks all!
  2. I never played the EB-3 5er, but, I do know a guy from a different forum that bought one and loved it.
    He said the sound was pretty decent and that the varitone switch made the bass very versatile. I think it's a 4 or 5 way switch - even better than a 3. I don't know about the pickup size though. For $275 I'd say you couldn't go wrong.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it.

Mike J.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own an Epi Les Paul 5 with dual rail p/u's. The neck is quite chunky and the spacing is wide. It's an extremely well-made instrument that belies its list price. However, the B string is the worst I've ever encountered--thin with far less volume than the other strings. It also requires extra long scale strings due to the tailpiece/bridge construction.
  4. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    thanks Michael and boogie.
    The B on this one isn't anything to rave about, but it isn't thin and weak like you described. I think a new set of strings would really give alot more life to this bass. I'll see if the kid can spring for some new strings before I decide, or if he'll take the cost outta the price.
    So it seems to be a pretty decent price?
    Anyone else have any thoughts?
  5. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Anyone else? Yeahs or Neahs?
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have the Epi EB3 5 String. IMO it's a solid bass. I've read all kinds of comments about Epiphone stuff(a lot negative) but for me when I compare it to similarly priced stuff I'm very satisfied. It has a nice tone--the pickups are decent, there is a fair amount of tone control, and it looks really "cool"--if you like that "SG" style.
    I don't do slap on it and my Ibanez seems better for that aspect.
    The one thing that I would change is the weight ratio on it. The neck is HEAVY and I was constantly adjusting the strap. But, for $1.08 I added another strap knob on the back of the neck and it helped a lot.

I believe they have stopped selling the 5-string, and the new 4-string they are putting out has a different bridge...but the price is like $900. Sounds like your price is much better--and you get the extra string!
  7. I played one a couple of weeks ago. Here are my thoughts: It sounded ok, nothing to write home about. I was playing through an Ampeg 8x10 and 1600 watt head, so it really should have sounded better. I think that there were some loose wires, because on a couple of settings there was no sound. It was really, REALLY neck heavy. Speaking of necks, it had a really wide neck with a horrible gloss finish. I didn't like it. Play one and see what you think. You might like it.
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They look cool to me. I have no idea what they sound like, but I imagine that you could have a good time playing some classic rock tunes on that bass.

Here's a pic of one...