1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epi EB-3 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Oct 9, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I had an Ibanez ATK 305 sold out from under me not too long ago, so I'm looking for another 5 string. I can get an Epi EB-3 5string in fantastic shape for $275. Would this be a decent first 5er? I do like the neck and the wider spacing on it.
    Also, if I did take it home, are those "Dual Rail" pickups a standard size I could replace with something better down the line, if need be?

Thanks all!
    Adron

2. I never played the EB-3 5er, but, I do know a guy from a different forum that bought one and loved it.
    He said the sound was pretty decent and that the varitone switch made the bass very versatile. I think it's a 4 or 5 way switch - even better than a 3. I don't know about the pickup size though. For $275 I'd say you couldn't go wrong.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it.

Mike J.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own an Epi Les Paul 5 with dual rail p/u's. The neck is quite chunky and the spacing is wide. It's an extremely well-made instrument that belies its list price. However, the B string is the worst I've ever encountered--thin with far less volume than the other strings. It also requires extra long scale strings due to the tailpiece/bridge construction.

4. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    thanks Michael and boogie.
    The B on this one isn't anything to rave about, but it isn't thin and weak like you described. I think a new set of strings would really give alot more life to this bass. I'll see if the kid can spring for some new strings before I decide, or if he'll take the cost outta the price.
    So it seems to be a pretty decent price?
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

5. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Anyone else? Yeahs or Neahs?

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have the Epi EB3 5 String. IMO it's a solid bass. I've read all kinds of comments about Epiphone stuff(a lot negative) but for me when I compare it to similarly priced stuff I'm very satisfied. It has a nice tone--the pickups are decent, there is a fair amount of tone control, and it looks really "cool"--if you like that "SG" style.
    I don't do slap on it and my Ibanez seems better for that aspect.
    The one thing that I would change is the weight ratio on it. The neck is HEAVY and I was constantly adjusting the strap. But, for $1.08 I added another strap knob on the back of the neck and it helped a lot.

I believe they have stopped selling the 5-string, and the new 4-string they are putting out has a different bridge...but the price is like $900. Sounds like your price is much better--and you get the extra string!
    :D

7. I played one a couple of weeks ago. Here are my thoughts: It sounded ok, nothing to write home about. I was playing through an Ampeg 8x10 and 1600 watt head, so it really should have sounded better. I think that there were some loose wires, because on a couple of settings there was no sound. It was really, REALLY neck heavy. Speaking of necks, it had a really wide neck with a horrible gloss finish. I didn't like it. Play one and see what you think. You might like it.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They look cool to me. I have no idea what they sound like, but I imagine that you could have a good time playing some classic rock tunes on that bass.

Here's a pic of one...