1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi EB-3 pickup options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Proglodyte, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Proglodyte

Proglodyte

Aug 27, 2010
    Charleston, WV
    I recently picked up an Epi EB-3 bass from a friend. The finish is decent but the electronics are in terrible condition and I am thinking of making it my new project bass. I have always loved the shape of the SG and I really want to do something special with this thing. I've seen some pics of EB-3's with Darkstars in them and I'd really love that option, but apparently Fred Hammon is incommunicado and is not taking new orders.

As another option I was thinking that maybe I could put a pair of MM pickups in it. I am capable of doing the routing but I am not sure if a MM pickup would even work out on this particular bass because of their positioning.

Can anyone give me some pointers ? Is this just a crazy idea that wouldn't work or even sound good ? I would also be open to alternate ideas.

Thanks for your time...

2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    A MM pickup might fit in the bridge position, if you didn't go any further towards the bridge with the routing you'd be close to the "sweet spot".
    Although I'm not sure how the pu poles will lineup, those 3 point bridges have narrower spacing than on MM bridges.
    I would also think about swapping the bridge out for one that contacts the body better, which will help to get a beefier tone out of that MM pu. I believe Hipshot makes a few direct replacements for 3 point setups.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Dimarzio Model One is a direct replacement. I had one in my EB3 until I replaced it with a KEnt Armstrong MM. I did have to route the body for it. I have mine wired Parallel/single coil/Series and it sounds great.

th_100_1926.jpg

th_100_1930.jpg

th_100_1960.jpg

4. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This Epi has 2 Barts and a Aguilar obp-3 in it. These Epi's are great for mods.

5. Proglodyte

Proglodyte

Aug 27, 2010
    Charleston, WV
    Thanks for the great info !

Ok so I'm looking at the Hipshot SuperTone bridge It has string spacing of .696 according to the FAQ on their site. This would be approx 2.784 total width from first to last string. The description says it has some ability for side to side string spacing adjustment but I'm not sure if there is enough "wiggle room" to make it work.

The Bassline MM pups I was looking at are apparently .754 from center pole according to the schematic. This would make total width from 1st pole center to last pole center 2.262

I am also looking at the Bartolini MM pups that say their blades "cover string widths from 50mm to 59mm". Which would be from 1.968-2.165

If my calculations are correct then the string spacing on the Hipshot bridge would not work out. Rumblethump is using a Badass and TheMinuteman appears to be sporting something similar. I'm assuming you had to do this due to the wider string spacing on the stock and drop-in replacement bridges. I'm worried that if I have to go with a different style bridge that it may screw up the intonation. Also I don't want the big ugly 3 point holes showing if I have to use a different bridge.

Would the Bart 5 string MM stingray pup be a viable option ? From the measurements provided it seems like it would be an almost perfect fit for the stock (and Hipshot) EB-3 string spacing yet it has the same overall dimensions of the 4 string pup. I'm just not sure how a 5 string pup would perform on a 4 string bass. I'm assuming that since there are blades in the Bart pup rather than poles that it would work fine.

6. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I have a Schaller roller bridge. Like another poster stated, its give better contact to the body. Not a real issue with an Epi but I have 1 on my gibson and like it. String spacing was not an issue...just my preference. I have one of the new Lane Poor/Legacy p/u's in my Gibson in the center position like my Epi. I really like it but there appears to be quite a wait to get them. I believe he was overwhelmed with orders. I highly recommend giving them a shot. Similar price to the Bartolini's but IMO a better sound. Good luck.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021