Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi Elite EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Does anybody own this bass, it looks awsome and it cost as much as a Jazz Bass. I play classic rock, Jack Bruce is one of my idols, since i am looking for a new bass (i was considering a Jazz or a G&L) so i was seriously considering this bass. The only thing that bothers me is that the Elite has a short scale (30.5")

So if you own it plz talk about this bass. How does the short scale feel?

2. Fake Trees, I just went to the Epiphone and the Musiciansfriend sites; The EB-3 originally had a 30.5" scale, but, the ones they make now have a 34" scale. http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=108&CollectionID=12

I've played the Epi EB-3 on a few occasions, though I haven't played an elite model.

The regular EB-3 is really an underrated bass, IMHO. The huge humbucker at the neck gives a VERY deep tone, it's something like a P-bass' tone, but, different enough. The mini-humbucker near the bridge can definitely give you Jazz bass-type tones; I remember this quite well as I played it. When you combine these two very different sounding pickups with Gibson's varitone switch, you get a bass that is extremely versatile. The neck seems to be almost the same as on my Jack Casady bass; it's nice, but, it's a typical Gibson bass neck, a much flatter profile than a Fender-type. The only drawback to this bass is neckdive, although I would think that you'd get used to it after a short time.

As I said I haven't played the elite model, but, I'd imagine that it's essentially the same as the regular bass, only with more attention to detail, better hardware, and perhaps better pickups.

The regular EB-3 is nice. The elite can only be better.

Mike ;)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Mike

I have an epiphone Jack Casady that i love, has agreat natural acoustic sound to it. Epiphone is a very hit or miss bass, i think their quality control is not the best.

4. Acctully the elite IS short scale, the elite is supposed to be a 60's reissue, *note the short scale and finger rest*

EB-3

5. I that's true, then the info they have at the Musiciansfriend site is wrong. It specifically says 34" scale there.

Go to: Musiciansfriend.com - type in Epiphone bass in the search box. There's only 20 items there.

They should be smacked.

Mike ;)

6. yeah, the info on M.F. is wrong, not only does it look like short scale it says it Here

7. Yes, 74rickbass, MF is wrong and you are right. And I am a boob for not seeing the elitist icon at the top of Epiphone's page. :oops:

Rock! I need a rock to crawl under.

Mike :D

8. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never seen one for sale here, only the one pickup version. I wonder why they are so rare. Are the single pickup EBs really that much more popular?

9. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Is there ANYONE out there who owns the Epiphone Elitist EB3?! maybe because it's new but no store have it in stock and nobody on this site seems to have it.., Weird