1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epi goth mod(s)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    So i've had this bass for a year now and well, i haven't really played it. But when i picked it up and plugged it, i noticed the bridge pickup volume pot is really scratchy so i would need to replace it. But I had the idea back in college to re-wire it so it's just volume-tone-Kill just like the nikki sixx signature II.

I already have wiring diagrams.

Will the tone be greatly affected if i change the 500k tone stock pot from epiphone to a 250k?

Not that i really care, but it's good to know if it does or not. She's a beauty to play but i need something new and different from all my other basses.

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I switched mine to a 250k, then switched it back. It got way too bright.

The killswitch wiring isn't that difficult, and you may actually pick up a bit of brightness from "switching" the pot for a switch.

Give it a shot. Only you can decide if you like it.

3. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Something's not right. 250k should be less bright, not more..

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It will be slightly less bright.

It won't be that much of a difference to worry about.

5. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    So the wiring diagram I have acquired is of the nikki sixx mach II thunderbird bass. His is wired: Volume-Tone-Kill switch. I want the Kill switch to be on top and then go Volume-tone afterwards. Is there any difference or should i still be able to use the wiring diagram i have with slight variation.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The only difference is how you position the switches in the cavity, the wires still go where they should.

7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    What should i use for a kill switch? should it be like just a simple on-off toggle switch or should it be on-off-on switch, toggle as well.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just an on off switch. You can also get a momentary switch that springs back to the on position, or a pushbutton.

9. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I don't really want a push button nor a momentary switch. Ill just go for the toggle switch. But question: how does the kill switch in nikki sixx bass look like?