Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi Jack C or Gibson LPS??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SrLomo, May 3, 2002.

1. SrLomo

SrLomo

May 3, 2002
    I have the opportunity of buying a 1976 original Gibson Les Paul Signature Bass in decent conditions for only 260$ or 270$ more than the Epiphone Jack Cassady.

In the shop, they told me that having the original bass is better and the waste of money is worth.
    Into the internet i found an interview with Jack Cassady that said there are some improvements in the re-design of the JC Bass and the sound is "rounder".

What can i do ? I personally prefer to buy a totally NEW bass rather than buying a 2nd hand bass but... this is an original Gibson...

I know there are some Epi Jack Cassady fans that can help me to decide.

Thanks

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own them both. Here's my thoughts: The Gibson is valuable and will likely hold its value. Dollar for dollar, it's a no-brainer. The Gibson is worth WAY more than a Jackbass +$270. However...

The Gibson is a rather tubby sounding instrument that sounds nowhere near as good as the Jackbass. Jack's involvement in p/u design and overall development resulted in an instrument that cuts through significantly better with more clarity and better overall tone.

Bottom line: Collector perspective, get the Gibby. Player perspective, get the Epi.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are seriously considering the Gibson, inspect the neck where it meets the headstock very closely.

There are a lot of Gibson basses and guitars out there with repairs where the headstock broke off of the neck.

4. SrLomo, I've never played a Les Paul Signature bass, but, from what Boogie says and an article I read, the Epi Jack Casady wins out in being a practical bass to play at gigs. I own one, and they sound unbelievably good. If you're into collecting get the Gibson, if you just want a fantastic sounding bass that's much newer, get the Jackbass. It really is a great sounding instrument.

Mike J.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Can you play either of them before you buy? If so, which sounds best? Do you have pics?

Go for the LP, the ones Ive seen look killer.

7. WOWSA!! That is an amazing price. I wish I could get my mits on it for that price. We'll just say I payed almost a 10 times that for my 1974 Gibson Les Paul Signature. It is even more valuable if it is a Sunburst finish. The Jack bass may have a little brighter pickup. I haven't had any problem bringing out the Gibson in a mix.

Eeither way you slice it, if you can get a descent original in that price range. BUY IT, you can sell it in a few years (or even in the right place now) and buy two Jack basses with the money!!

Drooling with envy....
    Nate:eek: