Epi Jack Casady bridge problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by capnhiho, Apr 6, 2004.

1. capnhiho

Feb 22, 2004
    Central CA
    I just noticed this weekend that the threaded inserts which mount the bridge on my Epi Jack Casady Signature are starting to pull out of the body. I loosened the strings and pressed the insert on the G side back in but left it detuned. I've been doing my own setup (still a learning experience though). I'm wondering is this a DIY repair, should I take it to a local shop, or should I contact Epi and ship it to them (NOT my first choice). I bought it from Jack's website (even had him autograph the pickguard) but ironically I don't see him listed as an "authorized dealer" eligible for warranty service. BTW - the bass w. case is only $835 from Jack himself - and he restrings them with Dean Markley Blue Steels and does initial setup himself (at lease he used to). TIA
  2. IMO because this is a hollowbody bass, I would seek some professional advice before attempting something. I would ask around and see if anyone is familiar with the internal structure of the Epi because that is going to have some bearing on what the repair should be.
  3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

This is a common prob with the Casady bass...as well as with the Les Paul Signature Bass. Due to the "threaded" inserts being pressure-held, the "soft" and slightly arched top and the pressure/pull of the Gibson style three-point bridge.

Good news is that it is an easy fix! Carefullt take off the strings, and be careful as those bridge saddles will also fall out (they are marked EADG, but a pain to re-install...)
    And then using a toothpick carefully apply some crazy glue, expoxy or other sealing glue to the inserts, and lightly press them back into their holes. Don't get rough with this as you can crack the finish.
    Otherwise that is it. Jack, at one time, had posted this DIY repair for the bass on his website..as that is what he has done with his own basses. Mine pulled up, too.....but once fixed has not been a problem again.

Hope that helps....