Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi Jack Casady Gold Top-Where to Buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by straycat23, Jul 30, 2001.

1. straycat23

straycat23

Mar 25, 2001
    I've decided to purchase an Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Model in the gold top version. I've found it for $650, which is acceptable, but I can't find one in stock anywhere. I can find black and sunburst. I've had several offers to order one. Does anyone know where I can actually find one?

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

where did you find a sunburst finish Casady? I have a gold one, but would love it in sunburst.
    Max

3. Straycat, you've made one of the best decisions you can as far as buying a bass goes. Casady's are fabulous. I was going to tell you to go to
    www.musiciansfriend.com to buy one, but, they only have black ones, and, they want $719.00 for one. There was a rumour a while ago that Gibson was going to discontinue them, and while I don't think it's true, they do seem to be getting harder to find. My Casady has a sunburst finish(which I love) but, I think they'd look dynamite in black. I hope you get one soon. I've said it a dozen times, but I can't understand why Gibson didn't market this excellent bass a little better.

Good Luck,
    Mike J.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I know there's a gold one hanging on the wall at my local sCam cAsh (Buffalo Grove, IL). Try the website ( www.samash.com ) or your local store.

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    If you have to buy mail order go with BNW.They will match any legit advertised price and are one of the VERY few id buy a bass from sight unseen.In fact i did.A goldtop Casady.It was perfect with no flaws whatsoever.Good luck!

6. I'm with Eli even though I don't share hie (or her) views on samash. I just got some stuff there and saved a buch even though I do like to support local stores. And I recomend if you buy it from them, order over the phone, sometimes prices vary from the site to the umm phone place(?). I saved like 20 bucks just by ordering over the phone. O and free shipping.:D

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I'm a him, thanks for checking...

8. straycat23

straycat23

Mar 25, 2001
    Max-I've looked and checked so many different places, that I honestly can't remember where I found the sunburst version.
    I called the Buffalo Grove Sam Ash store today to find that the bass mentioned in the earlier thread sold yesterday. I'm still looking.

9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just got a gold one on ebay for $529, used oly two days, they say. From Wagstaff music in Utah, it look mint. I am excited. If all goes well and I like the tone of the thing, I am going to do a little experiment and pull the frets outta my Fender Precision Lyte...I know the sound is going to be totally different on the Epi vs the Fender, but I needed a change anyway.

10. Hey lermgalieu, let me be the first to congratulate you on buying a Casady. This bass is one of the most underrated basses out today. When you get it, play with all the tone controls on your amp. You'll see that less/more treble or bass really changes the sound, but, most of all, fool around with the midrange. A lot of midrange = a real thunderous tone, little to none = a delicate tone not so different than an upright. You will find that this bass will grow on you to the point that you may forget to eat. To become a "Jackster," our unofficial club of Casady owners at Talkbass, just post your thoughts on the Casady here a couple of days after you get it. You will really go berzerk when you play this masterpiece.

Good luck with it,
    Mike J.

P.S. You're already a member, we'd just like to hear your opinion.

11. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Does anyone here have case for their Jack bass other than the Epiphone one made expressly for it (EJCCS). Should I bother looking around? The thing is, to get the one made for it I have to order it and I have some gigs and such in the meantime and I just know I will ding it (or worse) without a case. That said I don't want to end up with a case that fits it poorly...

Ok now that I've got the question out, yes I love it. I got it on THursday and have played it a ton since, I need to get a longer strap for it though. All I did when I got it is adjust intonatation and it plays great except for a mild buzzing on the G string around the 12th, which should be easy enought to take care of. The thing looks great, plays great, and sounds great. I like the lowest impedance setting the best, I think....but you really do get great tonal variety out of the thing. My problem now will be amp config, as I play a double bass and electric out of the same amp. With my Fender, which had active p/ups, I could just use an A/B switch and take care of the volume/tone discrepancies with the upright's pickups preamps and my fishman DI, allowing me to leave the amp settings the same for both basses. However for the Casady I will be using the passive input on my amp while I will still be using the active input for the double bass. So I have to figure out a) if I need to unplug the input I am not using each time I switch basses and b) if the amps controls are going to need to change each time I switch...I'm not (too) picky, if I can find a happy medium all will be well. oh by the way the amp is a Carvin tiltback 2x10 dealie, I forget the model number and I need to get back to work...

12. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

yes, the Jack is great tonally!!
    For your patching dilemma: Raven Labs makes a unit called the MDB1. It is a three channel mixer/buffer amp/DI. It has individual level control per channel (and even a stereo channel), aux side chain, balanced DI which is fantastic, much better than almst everything else out there...save Avalon)...and the inputs are a whopping 10megOhm impedence!! That means what goes in comes out unchanged!....they are a bit pricey..I think around $270 but well worth it. It would settle the vol. discrepencies and give your upright (and the Casady) a great tone!!
    for what it is worth...Jack uses one of these too!
    Max

14. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just ordered one. Unfortunately I have to wait, but it will fit, like you say, now here's hoping I don't put something through it in the meantime!

15. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Congrats on your Casady!!!It may be too late but my local Radio Shack has a few cheapo guitars/bass's.I noticed he also had a case that appeares to be identical to the Epi case that came with mine only without the E on it.You might check the price if theres a RS in your area.ENJOY!!!

16. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Damn already ordered. Radio SHack eh. Oh well...so how high do the rest of you folks wear your Jack? I thought I would like it low, but I think it plays the best up high, just a little uncomfortable though. I guess I am not used to the big body on it, I end up with little indentations on my forearm...

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I strap mine high for maximum comfort, I could never get that thing to feel right hanging medium to low. I also highly recommend straplocks. I installed Schallers and they work very well.

18. Lermgalieu, I usually sit down while I play, but, when I stand I like it kinda high up. I think the size of this bass calls for it. Don't worry about the body being a little on the big side, you'll get used to it quickly, and the pure, beautiful tone that this bass produces is so worth it.(understatement)

Enjoy,
    Mike J.