1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi Jack Casady probs.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rodl2005, May 17, 2011.

1. Epi JC pup problem +

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, I recently got a Epiphone Jack Casady bass.... & the output of the A string is WAY down on the other strings.

I received this bass- supposedly in 'mint' condition & it was unplayable. neck had NO relief & couldn't be adjusted....parts missing etc....
    To cut a long story... I've got her back in good playing condition now,& I love the bass, but have a few issues.

1. PUP seems stuffed. VERY LOW output on A string. Tried different string sets- same.
    So I will possibly wanna grab a new pup- where do I get one of these from?? & any hints on installing it once I Do??

2. Slight HUM audible when I put impedance select on 250 & 50. Not noticeable on the 500 setting.

3. Neck Dive......... Lighter tuners??? Or move front strap pin??

ANY suggestions appreciated :help:

Thanks & regards,

Rod

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    1. Something's definitely wrong there. Output on my Jack bass is very even and solid. As far as getting another pup.... these are specific to these basses. They're not available separately. I think you'd be wise to contact Epiphone directly and see if they can help you out.

2. Again, I think this is probably somehow related to your pup problem as my Jack bass is dead quiet.

3. Moving the strap pin will help a bit but not solve the problem. The top horn just doesn't stick out far enough to make that much of a difference. Lighter tuners... sure, that would help if you're okay with exposed screw holes and such. For me, crazy as this sounds, this is my "sit down" bass. In a sitting position it's about as comfortable a bass as I've ever played. Other than that... get a strap with suede on the inside... that will help hold the bass in position.

3. 3. a suede strap would be a good idea- thanks.

2. DAMN!

1. Will check the pups output over each string with a screwdriver(tap tap tap) to see IF it IS the pup. Could be to do with the impedance dial & hum...
    Thanx so far

4. Bump- ANJyone know where to get a new pup for the Jack Casady??

Emailed Gibson but no firm reply as yet

Also - Does anyone know where I can get schematics or cicuit diagram(if thats what it's called) for the Epi Jack Casady???

If I DO send it to my tech, I'd like to have this for him!

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Emails are okay, but telephone calls are golden. I have a Gibson era Tobias bass, bought used, had a problem, gave Gibson a call and within 15 minutes was talking to a tech person who helped solve the problem. Gibson Electric Guitar and Basses. Guitar Tech Support, Gibson Serial Numbers, Guitar Repair and How to Buy a Guitar

6. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I'd deal with a Gibson tech and get it worked on by them, I owned one of these and the pickup and electronics sounded truly amazing. The pickup did hum a bit though, but dang it sounded good. And yeah, lighter tuners and moving the strap pin a bit would help, I personally just got a very wide leather strap and dealt with that. And be ready for the posts that hold the bridge in place to pull out and need to be glued back in. A very cool bass, but it has a lot of um, quirks.

7. The neck dive is a feature, not a bug - you're going to have to get a wide strap and deal with it.

My Casady is very quiet, so I agree that it's likely you have a pickup problem.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I installed Hipshot Ultralite tuners on my Casady to tame the neck dive.

9. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland