Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi Jack Casady Signature; good for a "next" bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Jun 19, 2005.

1. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Here's the story; I've been playign bass for a little under a year. Granted, that doesn't sound like very long, but I've practiced pretty much every hour of my spare time. A fellow bassist (of three years) acknowledges that I'm "better" (His band agrees) in every aspect (Except for slapping; haven't really studied it at all). I currently have a Peavey Milestone 2, and it works fair enough, but I'm beggining to feel the need for something.. better ? For a long time I've wanted a MM Sterling, but I realized I'm just not ready for that kind of investment. Then I started looking around at some of the medium-priced bass guitars, and the Jack Casady Signature caught my eye straight away. It seems to be a good bass (based off of online reviews), so I'm wondering, would this be a good "next" bass ?

Side question; how hard was the transition (or would you imagine) from 4 string to 5 ? I can see the advantages of a 5 string, but it seems like it would throw off my "chord structure" (Misuse of terminology?).

Thanks.

2. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    The jack casady bass is the semi hollow bass correct? I have an Ibanez artcore witch is just about the same bass, jack casady is probably better quality. The only issue I have with my bass, is that the body is just so huge. Its really a pain to play standing up with, and even though its semi hollow, its heavier than my bro's P-Bass.

If you dont have a problem with the body being so big, Than I dont see anything that would be wrong with it, I love my ibanez, Id just love it more if it was smaller.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Epiphone Jack Casady bass is a great instrument, infact i just played a gig with mine yesterday. :bassist:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Casady is played by many pros live and in the studio. Let that say something about the quality.

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Jack is a great bass for what it is. Lots of folks run away when they see "Epiphone", but even though the Jacks are made in Korea, Mr. Casady has one shipped to him on a regular basis and takes new ones on the road with him to spot check quality.

It's a very cool bass. I love mine, but it's certainly not for everyone. If you aren't a slapper and love a huge warm deep tone, the Jack does it very well. And the LowZ pickup is so quiet it makes an amazing recording bass.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah i think this bass is my favorite in the Epihone/Gibson line.

7. Oysterboy, the Epiphone Jack Casady is an excellent-sounding bass. Its tone is somewhat in the P-bass category: warm and round. The 3 way varitone switch also gives you 3 variations of that sound. On the low setting it can sound something like an upright bass with frets. On the high setting it can handle any kind of Rock.

You can use any bass for any style of music, but I agree with those who say that it's not a slapper's bass. There's a very big difference between a Jackbass and a Sterling. Here are the Harmony-Central reviews. http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Epiphone/Jack_Casady_Signature-01.html

I'd recommend the Jackbass mostly for Country & Western, Blues, Grateful Dead-type Rock and most 60s & 70s Rock.

The Jackbass really has to be played to be appreciated, but if you're considering the Jack and a Sterling, I'd definitely recommend playing both before you buy; they're two different animals.

By the way, I've had mine four and a half years and still love it. :bassist:

Good luck.

Mike ;)