1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi Jack Casady V Epi Rivoli RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hallo, Sep 29, 2009.

1. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    I've always wanted a Gibson Eb-2 or Epi Rivoli (original) but they seem pretty rare in the UK. The question is what is the Rivoli (i have the opportunity to purchase one) reissue like compared to the Epi Jack Casady? I know the JC is longer scale compared to the Rivoli but which is the better bass? Which has the hottest output? As I'd be using it as a second bass and ideally i'd just want to unplug my ric 4003 without changing any settings.
    The positives for the Rivoli is the firstly the colour (sunburst) and 30" scale so great mid-ranges?
    The positives for the JC is 34" and impedence changer?

I'd ideally be using it for indie/rock music with BRMC being one of my major influences on my sound/tone.

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I'd say the Casady is the better bass. the rivoli reissue's pickup isn't that great and it's got a very skinny neck. unless you can get the rivoli for crazy cheap, go for the Casady.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Casady+1

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I have played both. The Rivoli is very muddy with the stock pickup. It was my firend's bass and I helped him replace the stock pickup with a Dimarzio One which helped a ton but it was still a tad muddy. If you get one of these basses I highly recommend replacing that stock Epi pickup.

The Casady has more tonal options and can cut through alot better. It is a tad more top heavy than the Rivoli (due to the longer scale I would assume) so it doesn't balance quite as well.

Although they look similar they are really completely different beasts and it would come down to preference really. For the musical style you are describing I would say the Casady would suit better.

5. Reminds me of an Advert for a store called "Ripoffs Music" I saw in Melody Maker here in the UK many years ago:

Epiphone Ravioli Bass (Just like Mama used to make) ...... £110.00

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The JC's low impedance pickup is extremely hot, and with the varitone, the bass is very versatile.

In the 50hz setting it's sort of like a jazz bass.
    In the 250hz setting it's like a P bass
    In the 500hz setting it's like a single-coil P bass

It has a very wide tonal range and it's easy to find a tone that fits. Also, if you play forward of the pickup, it emphasizes the "woody" sound.

Excellent instrument for all around use, plus they are light and sexy.

Bob

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you like the vintage mudbucker tone, the rivoli does it better than the JC. If you're looking for a more tonaly ballanced instrument, I would suggest the JC.

I personally like them both, but if they were both on sale for the same price, I would go for the JC. I have a JC pup/electronics package in my 1st generation Ibanez Artcore and even with the crappy stock epiphone audio taper pots, it sounds magnificent!

8. rivoli + darkstar

9. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Thanks, but not recommended. (by me)
    The Rivoli is designed to be what it is. It has a place in musical history. As is it's not a very versatile bass but it's sound is very unique in character.
    Better to find a Guild or DeArmond Starfire reissue if you want to do the short scale hollow body thing with Dark Stars. They look similar but their sound is worlds apart from the Eb-3 etc and Rivoli, plus there are historical precedents that maybe should be understood - or at least researched - Yardbirds, Animals, Jethro Tull, Kingsman... (3 Brits and a Yank)
    Ever see the movie "To Sir With Love"? Check out the bass featured on one of the ending scenes with Lulu doing her song. Rivoli's are a 60's British tradition.

Here it is:

As for the JC Sig bass -I say: Thumbs up (as is)!
    For a long scale hollow body retro-fitted with a Dark Star pickup the Ibanez Artcore basses might be a better choice.

Artcoreds1-2.

Don2reduc.

SFIIBlondeDS_1.

phil_67reduc.

Wow! Dig Phil's crazy striped pants!
    Funny how those never became a retro-fashion...or maybe not.

MarkosStarfire2.