Epi Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Sep 11, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking into getting the Epi Jack Casady bass. Does anyone have any advice about this bass? How do these basses hold up? Are they made well?
    Any info would help.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have a Jack that I got off of ebay... Great bass, tons of tones, looks great! Nice fit and finish, definitely one of the better models of Epiphones out there... Don't let the 'Made in Korea' detract you from this bass!

Another TBer turned me on to Dean Markley Blue Steels for it and they're fantastic strings. Took a little bit to get used to the non-rounded body edges and was a bit uncomfortable for a gig or two, but smooth sailing since then. I don't gig with it as much as I used to and mostly save it for church... Kinda nice to have a bass that doesn't smell like an ashtray on Sunday mornings!

3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the info! I'm looking at the bass or the Gretsch 68' re-issue. the Epi is half the price than the Gretsch. I just wished a guitar story had both in their shop so i could play. I;m going to run flats on the bass i decide on getting.
  4. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I've had an Epiphone JC bass for a couple of years now that I got on closeout from Musician's Friend. I don't play it a lot, but I'm really glad to own it. It's very well made and has a sound I can't get from my solid-body basses. I've actually been playing it the past few days, which has reminded me how cool it is.
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  6. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the link. I think I'm goin to get the Epi. Does anyone know of a shop that does good set-ups in the san diego area?
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Me too. If you get it from the Casady web site, he personally sets it up for you, or so it says.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Moze Guitars seems to have a good reputation (this is for the San Diego set-up question) for all sorts of work. Some people like the Blue Guitar also, down on India street. I haven't used either of them, but I know some folks who have and haven't heard anything bad.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    PM me, man. I can help you out on this.
  10. BassGreaser, there's not much I can add to what's already been said about this fantastic bass. I have mine almost two years, and like Muggsy I got mine from Musiciansfriend for dirt cheap. They normally go for about $700.00 or so. M/F had them for $719.00 w/o case (they still do) but, for some insane reason, when I was looking for one they had the black and gold ones for $719.00, but, reduced the sunburst ones to $449.00! :eek: Just because they were sunburst! (Which BTW is my favorite finish on any guitar or bass)

As for the sound - you really have to hear one in person to understand how good they sound; very resonant and with the 3 way tone switch you can get sounds from extremely mellow to bustin' through the front door snarl! Their tone is in the P-bass category, but, noticeably different. I've said it a dozen times here, but, I still can't understand why this great sounding instrument hasn't caught on more. As good as it sounds just straight through an amp, I find it sounds even better through a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ. I'd like to try it through a Sansamp unit or something similar one of these days. They are built pretty well too.

Long story short; buy one, you will not regret it. :cool:

Mike J.