Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi JC Sig owners - what do you keep it in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Nov 1, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey y'all,

I have one of these beasts on the way (via ebay, the GAS addicts dealer). What does everyone keep theirs in? I've seen the case at MF a couple of times. I'm partial to gig bags these days (love carrying my bass on a shoulder strap) - any recommendations on one that fits well?

Since it is "more delicate" than a solid-body (by definition I'd think since it's semi-hollow) I'm tempted to track down a hardshell case and just go with that. Any comments?

I only gig about once a month but carry bass(es) back and forth to work (I've got and office with a door) and practice (once a week).

Thanks everyone

2. Even if you don't gig much, I reckon a hard case is still your best bet. Gig bags don't offer as much protection, and can trap moisture inside the bag (I think) which can mess with your bass.

3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I prefer gig bags for my Fenders, but I sprung for the Epiphone hardshell case for the Jack bass, and it was worth it. That's what I'd recommend.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Get the Epi hard case. You'll have trouble finding a gigbag it'll fit it, anyway.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yeah, but where do you find 'em?? The epiphone site is, shall we say, 'Navigationally challenged'?? I couldn't find squat there...

Musiciansfriend has discontinued them also. Like Craig, I'm a gigbag guy who may have to go the case route. The company that I work for has a product that requires some upholstery, so I may hit up one of the gals to do a bit of 'On the side' work and whip up one for me. If I can't get my hands on one soon, I'll probably go that way. My bass arrives today or tomorrow :D :D

By the way Craig, I couldn't find your bass on ebay. Got a link??

-robert

6. I keep mine in my hands as much as possible. But, when I absolutely must put it away, it goes into the hard case. Kids, pets, car doors, nearsighted bicyclists - too much risk not to. I had my local Epi. dealer order one for me. Five bucks cheaper than MF too!

7. Boogie's right about the gig bag. It'll be pretty hard to find one that'll fit. There was one in Sam Ash by me in February, but, it was $79.00; the case was $89.00. I went for the case.

Rllefebv, MF is out of them? I know the Casady's neck is longer, but, I wonder if a 335 case would fit it? I haven't been to the Epiphone forum for months, but, I remember there were too many angry customers getting a standard "Contact your local authorized service center," answer for all kinds of problems.

Craigb, I know it's easier said than done, but, try to hunt down a case. I wouldn't go the gig bag route with this beauty.

Good Luck,
    Mike J.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Call Saul at Centre City Music in San Diego. He can get you a hard case and would probably ship it for a reasonable fee.

9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Once it arrives and I'm sure I can be happy with the neck I'm going to get a hardshell case. I've seen them pop up on MF as available from time to time. Music123 also has them listed. I may just find what local store sells Epiphone and have them order me one (if they are reasonable priced).