Epi T-bird: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Dec 16, 2005.

1. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I've been reading old Epi T-bird threads for the better part of an hour and no side of the argument has won. I've been playing bass for 5 years and have always wanted a T-bird. I have an MIM P-bass with Duncans now, and it's still a bland pbass, plus any note past the fifth fret on any string is dead and thumpy. The T-birds look killer and the fatter the neck, the better. No music store anywhere near me sells them (we need more music stores in PA) so i can't try one. There are alot on here who love them and just as many who hate them. With no regard to how they compare to Gibsons or vintage t-birds (I've never even seen one in real life) how are the epis? Worth buying at $400 plus shipping? Will it last? (someone said said Epi electronics crap out) Is it good for shows? Thanks.
  2. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    That's why I got one. Even when I was a guitar player I wanted a T-Bird. I don't have the moola for a Gibson... IMO the Epi. is the next best thing.
    There is a guy over at the Dudepit that gigs with his, and has had no problems out of it that I know of.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    nobody ever agrees on these forums...... :D , Ive always wanted a thunderbird to. the main reason is that Shavo from SOAD plays one (gibson) also they look very cool. I need to find somewhere where i can try one out. i think you should too.
  4. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Thanks guys. Yeah, theres one GC in Pennsylvania and they have all fenders, ibanezes, warwicks and specters. They had gibson t-bird when they first opened about 5 years ago, but it probably self destructed cuz they never took care of their stuff, the pups were falling out and it wasn't in tune. I'll keep looking, i really wanna know how these basses feel and sound.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you like the Bird sound but don't have enough $ for a Gibson, the Epi would be a good 2nd choice. However, be prepared to dish out some extra $ for new pups; Epi pups suck terribly. Also, I hope you have experience in tweaking basses because Epis need a lot of tweaking to get em set up right.
  6. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  7. FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    Dude, that is so true. There are absolutely no good guitar shops around where I live (as I am also a native of PA). I went out today to look for a bass cab with my brother. We visited maybe...4-5 guitar shops altogether and all of them were 30-45 minutes away from each other. What a nightmare...

We need more Guitar Centers in PA!!
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My local guitar center sucks balls. But there are some other music stores, including the famed Basses Electric Acoustic which is where I get most of my gear. That is just an awesome (albiet GAS inducing) shop!
  9. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Take it from someone who owns one, my Epi t-bird is amazing compared to my MIM p-bass. Each note is clear and punchy and unlike what many say, it is a very versatile bass. I dont know why people think you can get more sounds out of a p-bass, they dont know what there talking about.
    Its made a lot better than the Fender, no sharp frets sticking out or cheap wood.
    If you have any questions just ask.

p.s. the neck dive shouldnt even be an issue since its so easy to fix