1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi TBird Non-Reverse + new pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Keats, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Keats

Keats

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi guys,

I bought recently a 90's Epiphone Thunderbird Non-Reverse, made in Korea (it has that PBass / JBass pickups configuration). The bass is not too damaged and I want to make some mods to make it a masterpiece, most probably a Fenderbird.

I'm looking for a vintage deep and sharp sound, then I found out the ThunderBuckers - http://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/ - do you think the body can "hold" these pickups? With the proper shaping/carving, of course.

Will I need to get a new pickguard because of the neck pickup size/shape mismatch? If so, where can I found another one?

And does anyone tried to do this before? Can you share some samples of your final results?

Many thanks in advance and a happy new year!

Regards,
    E. Keats

Attached Files:

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    You may have to replace the pickguard, but it should work. Also, Thunderbuckers have rails, not pole pieces, so string spacing won't matter. Thunderbuckers are very thin, so they only need a very shallow rout.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  4. Keats

Keats

Dec 30, 2012
  5. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    If the Thunderbuckers are made to 60's specs just like the Mike Lulls, you can proably get away with mounting them flush on top of the body- no routing required. I have a Lull in the bridge position of my Epi, and it is much much shorter in height than a modern Gibson TB+. I sat it on the face of the body and screwed it into place running the wire through the existing route. The pickup with surrounding ring covered all evidence of the old route nicely, and I used a piece of foam to fill the route to give it just a little more support.

LULLPUPS025.jpg

LULLPUPS026.jpg

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I highly recommend the Thunderbuckers. These imho truly capture what a good vintage Thunderbird pickup should sound like. I have them in several of my bases. Here is my Thunderbucker MAX equipped Cataldo basses NR CataldoGOTsignature1.jpg

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021