1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi Tbird pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Proglodyte, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Proglodyte

Proglodyte

Aug 27, 2010
    Charleston, WV
    I've tried searching the forums for the answer and everything I've found seems to be speculation or assumption.

I want to replace the stock pickguard on my Epiphone Thunderbird Pro V. I have seen people recommend Warmoth, WDMusic, Stewmac, Terrapin Guitars, and Pickguardian to name a few. But aside from the ones that will cut a custom pickguard from a template you provide they all share the same warning that their premade pickguards are intended for Gibson Tbirds and NOT Epiphones. I'd like to just order one already made rather than send in a template and endure a waiting period. The premade pickguards I've found look the same as the Epiphone, and they have the same amount of screw holes. My concern is that the holes may not line up, or the curves may not match up.

I'm hoping someone here can provide hard facts for me before I make a purchase.

The TLDR version.....

Do Gibson Tbird pickguards fit Epiphone Tbirds ?

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I can tell you that while these PG's look the same, dimensionally they are all different. The holes do not line up and since the bodies are of different size even if you wanted to drill new holes the PG may be too big or small and the curves won't match the body. I have stack of spare PG's for various 'Birds not suprisingly they don't mix and match, even Gibson's from '70s to '80s production!
    So especially since the T Bird pro is a relatively new model with no commonality to any previous 'Birds your best bet is to trace the PG and go to a custom cut one so it fits the bass, I've used Paul Chandler thru Mike Lull with very good results.

Good Luck!

3. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    The new Tbird pro's, are the longest epiphone Tbird to date. My pro 4 doe's not fit in a standard Tbird case. They all look the same, but up close there are substantial differences!

4. Proglodyte

Proglodyte

Aug 27, 2010
    Charleston, WV
    Thanks very much for the info !

Looks like I'll be getting a custom made PG.

5. Woah thanks man, I was about to grab a case.

6. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I got lucky with my case, they told me 3 months wait, but my dealer found one that had been put on lay away and never picked up!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021