epi thunderbird vs Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olps, Aug 29, 2002.

1. keep Ibanez soundgear (4 string)

9 vote(s)
  2. replace Ibanez with epiphone thunderbird

20 vote(s)
  1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    My main axe right now is a Music Man sterling, but my back up is a Ibanez sounsgear. I recently played an Epiphone thunderbird, and really enbjoyed it. I'm considering replacing my Ibanez soundgear with the thunderbird. What do you guys think? Yes, I do know about the hideous neck dive. Thanks for all the input.
  2. No matter how this poll turns out, I think it should ultimately be your own decision. You've played both basses, so you should know which one you like more. And if you got the funds, then you're golden.
    Coming back to the question, I've never played a thunderbird, but I do own an sr990. What model soundgear do you have?
  3. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    An sr400. I just want to hear some of other peoples experiences and thoughts.
  4. Listen

May 19, 2002
  5. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Would putting the strap button on the bottom horn help with the neck dive, or would the bass just be awkward that way? Thanks.
  6. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I personally like the tone of the Epi T-bird, while not as versityle as most Ibanez Soundgears, it just kinda has this really cool rock tone to it.
  7. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    T Bird.
    Look good, sound good.
    Perhaps my next Bass.
    PS. You can get an extender for the top strap button which helps prevent neck dive.:cool:
  8. I have a Spector Rex with this modification and it made a big difference. There is still some neck dive, but not as bad. I know this is a slightly different shape, but it's similar.
  9. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I moved the front strap button on my Epi TB down to the neck joint (so the screw is parallel to the neck). Neck dive problem eliminated. (Just watch the truss!...oh, and if you use straplocks, you might have to trim the leather at the end of the strap -- I did.)
  10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd go with the Epi TB fro one reason, feel. I have an Ibanez soundgear 5 string, and its the most annoying thing when you try to slap on it. The strings are way too close together on the soundgear models. I like the tone of the Ibanez a little better, but you can always change the tone of a bass with a little mods. The only thing I don't like about the Epi TB is that it sits weird on my body when I'm sitting down and playing it.