1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi Thunderbird with Darkstars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pulse, Apr 18, 2010.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Anyone try this at all?

I love plazing my thunderbird but its tone is not up to scratch compared to my other basses

did anyone try doing this

cann it work?

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work?

And I can probably think of about 10 reasons why it would be awesome.. so do it!

Its actually something ive wanted to try for a while, however money has often got in the way.

Also, make sure you post pics! And soundclips!

3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    If you really like how your T-bird plays, and the Darkstars can be installed without any problems, go for it. The pickups alone will be worth more than a new T-bird though, so resale might be tough someday.

4. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks dudes

can anyone point me too any other options than the dark stars?

but nothing active please
    cheers

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
  6. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks for the shameless plug!

interesting but as you said pricey options

what are the biggest weakneses of the stock epi. pups in your opinion

cos listening to Mike Lulls soundsamples, they sounded a bit clearer but not featuring the precision like klang I am more accustomed too in my other basses. (obvioulsy this is not the t bird sound, I jut kind of want a hybrid)
    cheers

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    try out a pro 4

8. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    I HIGHLY recommend Seymour Duncan SSB-4 for epiphone thunderbirds. They are $100 per pair and drop right in. They are ALL t-bird, being passive ceramic soapbars and give you that clarity. Ditch the lame foam pads and put springs in (or use both). See mine on the epi tbird club thread..!

9. Any idea whether the p'up dimensions for a Pro IV are the same as the standard Epi bird? Worth considering, given the price. And whether they could be used with the factory active preamp...hmmm...(also wondering if it's the factory p'ups that cause the humming/buzzing issues. Pro sounds fine until boosted, then the noise issue rears its ugly head. I've been using the bass without the active boost)

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, Darkstars are $200 each, so really they aren't any/much cheaper. More expensive than the Lollars, less than the Lulls.

I haven't heard the Lulls, though I've heard a lot about them. The Lollars are excellent.

DS pickups won't give you a "T-Bird sound", but they WILL give a "great sound".

It really just depends on what you'd like your bass to sound like in the end.
    :)

11. thrashingbass

thrashingbass

Jul 14, 2009
    The Lollar TB pickups are downright amazing. IMHO, they will provide the balance between clarity and oomph you seem to look for. The tone is to die for. I didn't install them on an Epi TB, but on an Epi flying V. Still, I highly doubt you "need" any other pickups. Pricey, but the improvement in sound is incredible. Hearing is believing, as cliche as it may sound. My Epi Lollar Thunder V is my witness. :cool:

12. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    another idea is just replace the neck pup. it's in the sweet spot. bridge pup really just adds the nasal growl because the strings are not really deflecting much so close to a fixed point bridge. the epi bridge pup may be fine. if not you can always do both later !

13. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Split coil P in the neck, lollar in the bridge!