1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EPI-UL 610 VS AMPEG 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassblast, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I am looking at getting a UL 610 instead of a Ampeg 810
    Has anybody witnessed or used a UL 610.
    Tell me all about it.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Those two cabs are not the least bit similar. If you're looking to lighten your load above all else, get the UL610. If you want a smaller, lighter, louder (and better) version of the Ampeg 8x10, then get the Bergantino NV610. It's only around 10 pounds heavier than the Epi.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    As said above, not even in the same ballpark. The Ampeg is vintagey, fuzzy, lo-fi. The Epifani is the polar opposite: Modern, transparent, hi-fi.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    what kind of sound do you want?

why not the berg nv610 as well?

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Not having tried one, I'm only going by specs, but it looks like the Berg would be a lot more in the ballpark of an SVT, and about 60 lbs. lighter. However, I'm not convinced that it would be louder with only 6 drivers that looks suspiciously similar to the Eminences in SVT cabs these days. However, in practical use, that difference is moot unless you're insane with volume. I'd definitely try it out if I was in the market for an SVT style cab.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    what is it about the drivers that make 'em look the same?

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    The styling of the speakers pictured on the Berg website screams "Eminence" to me. I don't know if they are or not, but it's been my experience that similarly designed drivers sound similar. I'm sure they're not exactly identical, but based on my years and years of experience, the look tells me that they're likely more similar than different.

8. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

The Berg drivers are custom made by Eminence to Jim B's specifications, AFAIK. There are a lot of parameters involved in speaker design and there's no real basis for assuming that similar looking speakers will sound the same. Case in point: I have two 10" Seas drivers here in the office that are physically identical but they have very different T-S parameters and sound quite different.

I've AB-ed the NV-610 against an Ampeg 810e, and the Berg is slightly louder with a little more low end and a little more clarity in both the midrange and top end. In fact, it sounds very much like the really old square-backed 810s... The vibe is definitely old-school sealed box, though.

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Well there ya go ;)

10. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I know alot of people are anamored with the Bergantino NV610, but there is no way in hell that it is as good(or loud) as the Ampeg SVT 810 on a large stage! This why you see them alot of them with the SVT classic or some other big head being used by touring pro's. Most of the people on this site are not playing on these stages very often. The Ampeg is designed for that and not clubs, and bars. I would much rather have the Bergantino NV610( I've played both) because it is much more practicle for most applications. The Ampeg is meant to lit up and anything less comes off sounding muddy.

11. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

Side by side comparison of the two cabinets with the same 1976 SVT at the same settings on the same stage says you're wrong.

I rent my SVT/NV-610 as backline for arena shows all the time. It's every bit as loud and clear as any 810. Don't get me wrong, I dig the 810 but the NV-610 is easily its equal in terms of overall SPL.

12. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Ok it looks like the Berg 610 is my new want. I have never seen any in North Jersey.

Where can i find one.

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    not to mention the price delta...Epi's are "mo'money"...

14. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Both the Epi and the Berg 610's can easily push the same volume as the Ampeg fridges; I've heard side by side comparisons. I don't have much experience with the Bergantino stuff, but before making a decision between these cabs, figure out what kind of tone you're looking for. I love Epifani's cabs, but they're not really what most rock players want.

That being said, tone is much more influenced by the player and the bass than the amp and cabs. I can get Justin Chancellor's bass tone out of my Epi 112's, but they're still more at home when I'm playing R&B.

Find a store that has all three and spend a few hours trying each of them out.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    its worth the drive down to philly for bass specialties. glenn's got a brand spankin' new one in the showroom, and he'll let you chill with it as long as you want. 2hr drive is well worth it.

www.bassspecialties.com

16. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Personally, I'd go with the UL610 over the NV610.

That's just me though.

18. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Whats going to handle the B- string better?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    both handle the low B in spades. the epifani's low b does sound a touch fuller tho, while the berg is tighter.

20. You're going to get a bigger bottom end with the Epi but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the lows of the NV.