1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epi UL310 first impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Sep 23, 2008.

1. My main rig for the past 3 yrs has been a SVP-Pro->PLX1202->Whappo Jr. Today a brand new Epi UL310 came UPS. I hooked it up to my main rig and plugged in my fav bass (ATK305) and spent about 1/2 hr playing.

This cab is about the same size as a single 15 and weighs 47 lbs. It has 3 neo 10s and a small tweater with a Lpad in the back.

The tone is clear and clean without any humpy bumpy response characteristics. Not as thick and big as the Whappo Jr. but definately big enough and at about 1/2 the size and 23 lbs. lighter. It responds to EQ PUP changes on both and guitar and pre-amp. With the pup selector set in the middle and the pre-amp set flat I can get an outstanding slap tone. With the pup selector towards the neck and the treble on the bass rolled off a bit you get an outstanding fingerstyle tone.

I pulled the trigger on a Shuttle 6.0 last night on ebay and am looking forward to gigging with both of these new pieces of gear. :hyper:

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The UL310 is possibly my favorite I've had in many years.
    Just to give you my opinion though. With that box, I think
    the LMII is a near perfect fit. The new GK mb2-500 might
    be even better. The Shuttle just doesn't have that thick
    low end that works so well with the UL310-s1 I have.
    You may love the 6.0 with it though. Enjoy.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I considered the 3x10 but went with the 4x10... Yes, it is much heavier, but the lows it produces - woo boy! That Nick guy does good work!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    THAT is my exactly my current rig, and its pretty dang awesome. has this thick syrupy response that i cant get enough of.

but i'm thinking tho, that the new GK MB2-500 would be a better match! my old aguilar ag500's EQ sounded terrific w/ the epifani 310. the lower mid gave tons of punch, and the lows knob really fattened out the lower end. GK amps tend to have a similarly voiced EQ circuit to my ears, and i'm dying to try one w/ my ul310's.

oh, and if you think one is great, try two... ;)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1 on the GK!

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think the UL310 will be a great match with the shuttle. I used to own a UL310 series 1 and found the low-end to be quite big... perfect for the shuttle as its a little light in the low-end. I have UL115 and I love the shuttle with that cab.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed! :cool:

7. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The 310 and 410 are just awesome cabs! The 310 is a feather with punch and the 410 has a little mo’ booty, but(t:p) both are great cabs!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the great thing about the 310 is that you can add all the booty you want, and it wont sound stunted unlike other cabs trying to be more than you want them to be.

i love the 4x10, but carrying around the 310 three nights a week kinda spoils you. ;)

9. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Most definitely agree. As has been said, they sound a lot alike. The 310 is just a freak of nature. All that in a light box. Cab nirvana.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

still my fav cab to date.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm sure I can look it up but what are the ohms and power handling of that cab?

Very attractive cab.

Congrats and enjoy.

Bass Gear is sooooo much fun. :hyper::bassist:

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    impedance is 5.3 ohms, but an amp sees it as 4 ohms i believe. so the little guy draws a ton of power from your amp.

13. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Gotta stop reading this thread! I just got a first generation UL2-410 and I can't keep it and the 310 (space, money, blah) as it looks right now, but I'm gonna try. :(

14. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Anybody compared a Schroeder 1210 to the Epi 310? I know the tonal differences will quite drastic, but how about overall volume? And, from what I'm reading here, it seems the Epi would have a little more booty.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The epi definitely has more booty, but the 1210 is far louder and cuts thru much, much better. If you want a nice pillow in your tone: UL310, if you want solid thump and cut: 1210.

I've owned both.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    FYI, the schroe i had was really thick in the lower mids, while the epifani is definitely one of the smoother and more even cabs i've had. so, because the schroe has all those lower mids, it sorta masks how low it goes. the epifani isnt voiced nearly as much so and on the more neutral side of things. yet, it definitely does shake its fair share of some windows.

and thx to that relatively neutral voice, the epifani is really easy to EQ to find a great sound, and even dial in that fat fat lower mid like voice. also, if you play in a variety of problematic rooms, i'd opt for the epifani. the really aggressively voiced schroe sounds really weird when you're trying to undo a certain frequency its so happy to push out.

volume wise, for the size of the little schroe, that sucker can CRANK. its quite the marvel. but again, it only does so much in a small box. the ul310, on the other hand, just seems to get bigger and bigger. but if volume's a concern, a ul410 will allay any of that. what sort of competition would you be expecting?

17. +1 to all the above. I replaced my 310UL with a 1212L. It was louder and punchier than the 310UL (which at the unfortunate volumes I'm required to play sometimes was easily buried). However, I tired of that low mid voicing. I moved to a 410UL about 7 years ago and never looked back.... all the wide, even tone of the 310UL, with an exponential increase in volume and punch. It sounds like double the cab, not just one more ten.

18. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Thanks Joker. I really don't have much competition. 2 guitars w/1x12's each, a drummer and a keyboard. I always have PA support.

The crazy thing right now is, my LMII/Schroeder/Fender AmDlx combination sounds crazy good! Plenty for even large gigs where the Schroe is just a monitor.

The SR5 on the other hand is lacking even with some EQ. :eyebrow: Guess I was hoping to find a more even cab and the UL310 sounds like it would be.

19. Oh man, if you dig your Schroeder, but want a more even, deeper low end extension but not lose that low mid punch, you should check out the Bergantino AE410. It's punchy like the 1212 or 1210, but MUCH louder, much more even, and has much more true bass extension.

The new Epi310UL is almost 60 pounds now (57 or around there I think). The BergAE410 is 62 pounds, thinner than the 310UL (16" depth) and will BURY it (again, assuming you like punch and articulation versus 'pure and wide').

Edit: It sounds beautiful with the LMII also... with just a touch of hi mid attenuation, it is smooth and punchy and full sounding.

20. I play an SR5 through an LMII/UL310 rig. IMO, "even" would be an understated way to describe it, although the lows can be a little overpowering at low volume. And as I've stated before, with regard to the schlepp factor, the UL310 is the "Baby Bear" of cabs: not too big, not too small, but just right.