Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epi UL502 vs Eden WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humabass, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Anybody owned both or spent significant time comparing them? Any Eden users won over by them? I've had lots of different amps, Aguilar, Demeter, EA, AI, etc. I just kept coming back to Eden. I really like my WT550 but there are some very gig-friendly features on the UL502 that appeal to me. I find some of the high end SS amps to sound a little sterile by themselves but seem to sit well in a live mix. Keeping in mind that I like, not neccessarily LOVE, the Eden sound anybody got any thoughts?

Thanks
    Hugh

2. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Good morning bump.

3. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    afternoon bump.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned both.

But before I can give any advice, I need more info.

What would you like to be different about the sound you get from the WT550? Anything you particularly dislike in it?

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  6. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I guess what I'm really wondering about is if the Epi sounds closer to the EA and AI stuff which I consider to be too sterile sounding. The Eden is plug and play for me. I set everything flat, set the eq on my bass flat and I get a nice warm sound with a very musical high end for popping. Only downside is that it cloud be a little clearer with better definition. If the Epi leans more toward the Eden sound rather than the other way I would be interested due to the many gig-friendly options (dual channel, footswitch,PRE/post DI, etc). I know this is very subjective stuff but I don't have the opportunity to listen to the Epi before I buy it.

Thanks

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... the EA and AI stuff sterile? then you'd HATE the Epi... HATE it... ;)

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    By your description it sounds as if you should really check out the Thunderfunk. It reminds me of an Eden but clearer. The Epifani isn't going to do it for you in my opinion.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you buy from a place with a return policy, you're fine either way. At the end of the day, as you know, the only set of ears that matter are yours so you're going to be buying based on subjective opinions anyway...

I'd say the EPI and Thunderfunk are pretty close in sound, both have high end clarity available if you want it. I personally prefer them both to the EA. While I've had good sounds with the EA, I've never personally had a sound I loved.