Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epi ul502 vs TF550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JuanG, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JuanG

JuanG

Oct 16, 2005
    New York city
    Hey guys..I'm about to buy a thunderfunk 550 head but I was just offered an used epifani ul502 head and for about the same price, so I wonder what people like the most taking into account that I owned an epi 3x10 cab ....... thanks

2. I use a TF550 with the Epi310UL and 410UL... fantastic combination. There are a number of reviews saying the 502 also sounds great. I know some of the early 502's had DI issues... so if you go with the 502, make sure the mod has been done, and also that you are getting the 600watts into 4ohm version... I believe the earliest ones where 500 watts into 4ohms (or at least that's how they were originally listed on the site when they first were announced).

I personally would go with a brand new, shiny, in the box TF!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hopefully, if all goes well, when i get to the DC GTG, Jivesound'll have my TF550 ready. ;)

but i love my 502 head. i did get the DI mod done, and so far, i've gotten the most complements from various soundmen. also, i've done a few demo's, and was very impressed w/ the results. dare i say, i used the 502's DI instead of my usual Demeter tube DI for a few tracks.

also, if you have an epifani cab, you MUST get an epifani head. i know KJ loves the TF w/ his epi setup, but i love my all epi setup. go figure. ;)

btw, here's my review:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176341

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Question?...

I have a used 502 coming tomorrow. How can I tell if the DI mod has been done?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just call up nick, and give him your amp's serial.

also, i maybe mistaken, but if you're handy w/ a soldering iron, you can actually do it yourself.

6. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Nick is in Japan right now with their show. But yah, call Nick with your SN, he's really good about getting things right. Chances are you have a good one, Nick fixed the DI right away. The thing about the 502 being 500 watts was a miss print on his web site. I use the Epi 502 with the 410UL and the system pumps. I've had great compliments on the DI in both studio and live performances.
    Yes, KJ does love his TF with his Epi's. :)

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY