1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

epi112ul cab walls?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i read that epi uses italian poplar, which is lighter than other similar woods (?).

So, do they keep the typical 3/4 thickness or do they also use thinner walls, such as 1/2, for even additional weight savings.

I went to 7 storesin my area, noone has an epi, and only 1 berg.

hhhmph.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sonny,

just hit the shop. its very fun. :)

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The Italian poplar is the same thickness, just lighter in weight than American poplar.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, some are using mm instead of inches and I haven't checked to see if they are direct equivalents. Actually one could easily build some good cabs with LESS than 3/4" walls if the bracing, gluing, and construction was top notch and the plywood had plenty of void-free plys.

5. What mm are they using?

19mm=.75" (roughly)

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    12 mm is about 1/2 i believe.

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    do you mean the EPI shop in NY? or do you mean MY shop !??!

i would like to go there... you have been?

8. yep 1 mm is roughly .04 inches, so just do the math from there.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hey stedtale,

yeah, I have a convertor calc on the computer here, as well as google's type-in-conversions ability. What I meant was actual physical measuring - I know a lot of the plywood here is 1/32 shy of stated size and suspect that not everybody states exactly anyway.

...I think Bill's plans and forum will show that many are using thinner stuff for a lot of the construction for his horn-loaded designs, and I've seen some pretty nice high-powered direct radiator cabs with thinner stuff too - even compact high-output subwoofers. On larger ported boxes with lots of panel area I suspect it isn't as practical since more time and effort in bracing design would be required.

10. Ahhh, that, I don't know. Kinda like how a 2x4 is not 2"x4". I'm not sure if 12mm is really 12mm in plywood sizing.

Yes, it does seem that there are people using thinner stuff, and adding some extra bracing in Bill's forum.

As for exactly which size that EPI is using, on their website they say

"Made from uncommonly strong yet lightweight Italian Poplar, the UL Cabinets employ an internal bracing design that would make a traditional cabinet too heavy for 1 person to handle."

Depending on the internal bracing design, I would assume that they could get away with using 1/2 ply, and even with the added wood for the bracing, it could be lighter than an all 3/4 cab. 1/2 ply should weight roughly 66% of 3/4 ply, given it's the same species, etc. Lots of weight saving potential there. But, as to exactly what they use, I don't know.

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I checked my UL's with my NYC's and they are the same thickness, without getting into exact mm give or take. The internal bracing is the same thickness as the exterior of the cab.

12. I just got an email back form them, I asked what thickness they used in their italian poplar cabs.

[Epifani Email]
    I am not sure as the specs of those materials have recently changed
    somewhat. Nick Epifani will return from Europe in the first week of
    April; please email us again at that time and we will have an answer for
    you.

Thanks,

Epifani

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    thats odd. i could tell in approximately 2.7 seconds what nominal thickness they use, if i had one to see. that is provided it isnt a custom planed oddball piece.