1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epic Frontman/okay player

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    Okay, the honeymoon period is over in my awesome band. Plus, there was history before I arrived. Here is the basic situation: The guitarist and drummer are freaks of nature in a playing sense. The lead singer is an incredible frontman, but a marginal sax player. We do many instrumentals. Sometimes, the sax player can't always hang, but not to the point where mere mortals notice. However, he has a huge vocal range and charisma for days. His "day job" is a dj, and he is gifted in rocking the house/crowd interaction. All three of them are twenty-five; the conga player and I are in our forties (44, 42 respectively)
    Well, the guitar and drums are exhorting the lead singer, sax player to take lessons, practice more, and work harder. The lead singer is feeling a little bothered because he practices vocals quite often. They all come to me with issues; I'm the bass palyer.
    I'm afraid that they are going to run him off. He is the voice of the band. Granted, we all practice instruments a great deal on our own, the singer the least.
    How does one navigate this slippery slope? I know communication is the key, but each side is firm in their position. The guitar and drums want the music to be super complex; the singer wants a little more simplicity and room for vocals. We do both, but the ghosts are very present. Also, some are deluded with the "we don't have drama" skit. I try to stay nuetral, but I see a bad moon rising.

2. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    neutral (sorry)

3. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Follow the Leader.

4. Tough to be a great vocalist and a great horn player.
    The muscles required to really excel at sax put a damper and stiffen the vocal muscles and flexibility needed to croon.
    Best to add a dedicated horn player than drop a great singer.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Hang on to the epic frontman.
    Utilize the sax sparingly.

Let him concentrate on singing.
    If he needs something to do during longer instrumental sections besides playing sax, give 'im some percussion instruments to play with.. a'la Ian Gillan

6. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    A great frontman is far harder to find than a guitar player or drummer. The frontman is the show.

7. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    +1 to Hang on to frontman.

Talk with the front person about how the other players are just really perfectionist and let him know if their demands get too much for him to come to you to let off some steam. Let him know you understand his feelings and insecurities and that you will help him get through the problems at his pace.

Worst case scenario scrap the guitars/drums.

Good front people can make/break a band faster than any level of instrumental virtuosity.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Trying to stay in the middle of the road just gets you hit from both sides.

9. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Keep him as frontman, ditch the sax. A great frontman is a tough thing to find.