1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epic Prog Topics?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Definitely, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I'm in the midst of writing an epic progressive rock song (think early Rush epics) but I'm having some trouble with lyric ideas. Any suggestions on topics I could write about? I have the acoustic intro written (D major, 1-4-1-5 chord progression, slowly building up, repeating and every once in awhile ending on 2 instead of 5) and it seems to have a very "Fountain of Lamneth" sort of feel to it. Suggestions please, I'm really stumped on this one. Thanks!

2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hrmm..

The transience of beauty.

Man's inhumanity to man.

Machines will take over the world.

Machines will not take over the world. Love your machine.

Angels and demons getting all fighty. Or people getting all fighty.

Weather will kick our asses.

Seems to be plenty you could choose from, just start thinking about something that feels big to you.

But an epic doesn't have to be about something big, either. Write it about looking at your belly button. It really doesn't matter, especially if you go the John Lennon/Jon Anderson route and create lyrics with little meaning to begin with.

3. Watergate

4. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I was thinking of the Yes route and have gibberish that has some greater meaning if you dig deeper, but I don't think I'm poetic enough and I think it would turn out better if I told a story instead. Great topics though, I may have to incorporate some into the story! Thanks!

Wasn't that some 70's scandal? I'm not American and I wasn't around in the 70's so I'm not too knowledgable on the topic, but it could make a cool story, if I were to take the themes to a different time period and go with a mythical scandal....hmmmm.....

5. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Women

6. theobass416

theobass416

Jul 3, 2011
    Maybe you could look into some mythology, and try and incorporate it into modern day, or look into something mystical. Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes was based on a religious text Jon Anderson had read. Or you could talk about space or technology or maybe a war or battle. There are a lot of different ways you can approach this, and the topic you choose can influence the music as well as the lyrics. Good luck man. Would love to hear it when it's done.

7. Definitely

Definitely Banned

There will definitely be a battle scene, I love those cause they're perfect places for epic solos (think By-Tor And The Snow Dog). Just walking around humming to myself and singing random words that didn't make much sense, I came up with the random idea of a boy growing up in a port town and falling in love with the sea, then inheriting a boat from his father when he's old enough and sailing to find mythical lands. On his journey theres two paths i can choose from:
    1)his crew gets fed up with how long it's taking blah blah then mutinies.
    2) his ship is attacked by a Kraken.
    After that I'm stuck...

8. theobass416

theobass416

Jul 3, 2011
    Depending on how long the song is, maybe after the mutiny or krakken the boy ends up on an island or some other weird place, or he could end up getting home and he looks at the sea and remembers everything. I dont know though, prog topics are pretty hard. But the boy falling in love with the sea is a cool and original idea. Good luck and keep us posted. Peace

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Dragons! [/thread]

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I would suggest you write about fairies, vampires, witches and were wolfs. Or describe a crazed out mushroom trip with a lot of fancy partly self made words.

11. patas75

patas75

Jan 26, 2011
    Duarte, CA
    Talk about the legend of the rent and how it was way hardcore!!

12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    This is not for a song but a concept album.
    I'd choose 1 then 2... He almost drowns, but are saved by mermaids, who bring him to the shores of a magical island. He lives there for many years with all kind of mystical and magical things happening, then as an old man he returns home in a self made fleet. But every things have changed, everybody he knew died in "the great war", and where he used to live there's build a prison.

13. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Holy carp (yes, bad pun intended) this may have to be an open ended epic to be the start of a concept album....or a duology like Cygnus X-1....

14. theobass416

theobass416

Jul 3, 2011
    I cant wait for this album to be made!

15. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Well I'm 14 and have primitive recording gear and little writing experience, but it will be the best I can make it! Get back to me in 2015...:D

16. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    A-ha! Pick an eschatology (study of the end of the world), and write about that! The Battle Scene can be Armageddon!

To learn more about Watergate, watch the film All The President's Men. Or read the book of the same name if you're so inclined.

17. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    nice! why not something that uses both? the crew is ready to mutiny, and just before they can do away with the boy captain, they are attacked by the kraken. Wakes up washed ashore, and then segue to NoiseNinja's idea, cause it's pretty sweet too!

edit: oh, wait. pretty sure NN already covered my suggestion. d'oh!

18. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    hmmmm, this is stretch but how about a futuristic post-apocalyptic authoritarian society that subjugates the individualism of man :eyebrow: :D

19. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I was thinking that at first, but it would end up too much like 2112

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Bears taking revenge against humans

How McRib is part of a conspiracy to control people

Aliens visiting our planet and fleeing for their lives after observing us

Polar ice melts and The Blob is unleashed