1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epic self-KO from a possible gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I had been talking with a guitarist and vibes player about starting a jazz trio with them, playing corporate events, weddings, and such other places, basically gigs that actually pay more than gas and beer on a good day. The vibes player is a big timer around Chicago, so I knew I wasn't getting in with a couple of sloths. Best part, they didn't give a hoot that I didn't own an acoustic upright bass, though I can read, know theory, changes, and that kind of stuff. It seems like many guys around here on a jazz gig would take a below average hack on the upright before they took Jaco 2.0 on electric, so that was a major victory.

Come this morning, when we were supposed to practice, I end up having to drive my mother to work, she takes forever, then I locked both sets of keys in my car when I got home (my fault), then I struggled to get an emergency lock service out within an hour of me calling.

The guitarist ended up calling off the rehearsal, and he said to email him when I could practice next week. I gave him quite a few days, and I told him that it's rare for me to have a bad day like this, but it happens to even the best of them. I'm waiting for an email back, but above all else, I'm hoping he emails me back.

So, a few large dump trucks full of fail apparently stopped by my house while I was asleep. Though I hope the guitarist responds back, I definitely can't lay down and play dead. I'm going to check out some local jam sessions and open mics and see if I can hook up with some good musicians and get in with a good jazz group, or if not a good jazz group, a good something group.

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Ouch! Next time, it's a taxi for mom, eh?

More proof that Murphy's Law rules the world.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Given the caliber of people you're trying to play with, and your credentials, I wouldn't worry too much. Give them a few days. If you don't hear from them, send a gentle reminder that you're ready to go this coming week. Let them know your car is also ready. :smug:

I have an even worse failure story to tell. In the mid '80s, Dave Mason was living in Chicago (he was actually the owner of a high-end catering business, as I recall), and put out an open audition call over the radio during an interview. I called in, and left my info on the answering machine they had set up. A few days later, I was at work, and just missed a call that came in for me. It was Mason's manager, starting to set up audition times. The fact that I didn't answer the call was grounds for crossing me off the list. Of course, the guy he got was miles ahead of me, but I didn't even get the chance.

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Wow, looks like I still have the gig, at least so far. The guitarist is arranging for a rehearsal next week. Thinking about it now, if I had a camera crew, it would have made a great George Costanza plot line. :oops:

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    One accident is an accident...

Two accidents are a screw up...

Get it right this time, and you'll be fine.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Can't she drive? What do you mean, "she takes forever"? Didn't you tell her you had an rehearsal?

How is that possible? What was the 1st set of keys doing in the car? It's good to have two sets of keys but it's better to have a 3rd copy of every key in your house put away in a drawer or hanging in a cabinet just for such occasions.

What about joining something like the Automobile Club or other such service that provides emergency tow, lock out service and other such things?

Things like this will happen again, sometime. Unless you change your preparation for such emergencies/problems, you'll have the same results.

7. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Her car had a water pump malfunction, which is why I had the only available car. She also ended up taking my own emergency key and using it as her own key, I found out, which is why they both ended up in there afterwards. :rollno:

Yes, there are lessons learned in this scenario though. Anyone wants to screw with my schedule, after I offer so much time to them, they can hitch a ride or figure out what to do. Also, have at least four sets of spare keys in the house, all in strategically placed locations. Finally, moving out as soon as the slightest opportunity will help give me further flexibility (sucks being a full time MBA student, but I'll see what I can pull off). :D

8. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    that is unlucky, but im sure if you make it next time they won't mind you couldnt make it the first time.

9. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Well, she is your MOM, bro - Looking at the big picture, I would think she's "offered so much time" to you as well, no? :smug:

BTW - good luck with the trio gig!