Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 110 with a 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Does anyone here use an Epifani T-110 and T-112 together? If so, how would you describe their sound? In the past I ran two 112's and found it to be very loud, but I felt I was missing some punch (plenty of lows, though.) I love the tone of the 112 alone, so I know I want to keep it as part of my stack. Any thoughts?

2. Tombowlus runs something like this. I'm sure he'll chime in.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    After a/b ing a 310UL, 210UL, 112/110UL. I found the
    112/110UL to be, as Tombowlus says. The sum is better
    than the parts. A killer combo. Small and light with lows,
    mids, highs and punch. Not quite as loud as the 310UL,
    but not far behind. Works for slap and fingers. Don't
    mean to sound like an Epifani ad, but this is just a very
    good speaker match.

4. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I am playing 210UL + 112UL. I prefer the 112 as stand alone for smaller gigs, but together with the 210 the earth moves and the highs are solid.

Steven

5. That is an excelelnt combination. I was going to buy a Epi 1x12 to go with my Epi 1x10 ul but in the end went for the Accugroove Tri112L to partner the 1x10.

To my ears the clarity of the Accugroove was what won me over as well as its light weight, construction, Tone, combination of speakers [1x12" 1x6" 2xtweeter] etc all in one box.

If you can't try or get hold of the Accugroove then I would have no hesitation in recommending the Epi 1x12UL.

Regards

Matthew

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, indeed, this is a fantastic combination. The T-110UL gives some needed upper-midrange presence, and the two cabs together are nicely balanced and articulate.
    [​IMG]

Of course, if you double up on each, and throw a ton of wattage their way, the results are as good as any I have heard from any of my cabs:

[​IMG]

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Tom, is it my imagination or are the ports on your T112s different sizes to each other?

Alex

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is not your imagination. I have two different versions of the T-112. The first one I bought is the newest version, and it is slightly deeper (with more low end). Later on, I picked up a used T-112 in great shape, but it is the prior version, and is not as deep, but is a bit more focused and punchy sounding. I don't recall which one has the larger port.

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks for the replies.

B String:

Don't worry about sounding like an Epifani ad, I probably have myself in the past. :)

matthewfoote:

I have heard Accugroove cabs before. They do sound very nice, but the Epifani "sound" is a better fit for my rig and playing style.

tombowlus:

As for your second pic......you are a sick, sick man. :)

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thats ok Jason. Just wait till Tom gets a taste of the
    Schroeder 1210 box that he's jones'n for. Pictures all
    over the internet. The BASS BOX MOUNTAIN OF LOVE!

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This is the combo I use...I love it. I want to get one more of each so I can have a rig like Tom's seen above if needed.

12. so the two 12 cabs are not matched and have different tuning requencies or drivers?

I once hear somebidy say that 10's and 12'a don't get along and that you need to put 8s with 12s and 10s with 15s. this is obviously a myth since the schroeder 1012 is designed that way. the mesa scouts have smaller passsive radiators, not larger than the driver. and this ministack seems to please.

13. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Okay Tom, I see your two and raise you two!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I believe it's the same driver, but with different volume cabs, I'm sure the tuning is different.

My experience bears out that 10's and 12's play nice together. My first "high end" rig was a Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 and an Eden 212XLT. These cabs sounded fantastic together. And the Epi combo is quite symbiotic.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, I think I can make that exact rig, too! Is that two T-112's, a CXL-210 and a VL-110 with a Walkabout? The photo's a little dark, and I can't tell what the bottom EA cab is.

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Anyone wanna sell one of those Epi 112? (you guys are OUT of control!) :)

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    No, and yes (I am out of control!).

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually, the epi 110ul and 112 nyc is one of the most popular combinations from what i've heard (that was before the 112 ul came out). A lot of cats who double seem to especially like it.

19. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Holy Crap! :eek: That's amazing! I was thinking about an eden navigator, plx amp, epifani 210 and 212. What kind of music do you play? How loud? What basses? With or without PA support? I'm really interested in that amazing rig!

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, with that rig, I play a variety of rock, from Stray Cats to Jet to WASP to Cake, and a bunch of places in between. How loud? Let's just say that the necessity to avoid damaging eardrums is the limiting factor... As for instruments, I play 4 and 5 string electrics, ABG, and upright. That gig did have PA support, but a good portion of my sound was coming from my rig. It was an outdoor gig, on two flatbed trailers, with a pretty honking big PA. The Sheriff did come about 1:00 am and ask us to turn down, but they were very cool, and just asked to see the sound man turn down the volume (even just slightly), then said thank you very much and left.