Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 210/Electrical Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Jun 3, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Cabinet comes today. Sounds awesome at my house... Took it to practice and it was all farty and distorted right from the get go with very moderate EQ'ing (only at the bass) and volume/gain settings. I switch to passive on my bass and its the same thing. I try my bass direct through our practice PA and it worked fine so its not the bass or the cable. I run through the DI of my iamp 800 and get no distortion (I'm thinking probably not the amp at this point). I check my speakon and its intact, so its most likely not that. I'm beyond pissed at this point because I just shipped out my 112 in the box that the 210 came in as soon as I got home from work this afternoon and found it waiting for me. Anyways, I get home after practice and it works perfectly! We're talking the delicious Epifani smooth sweetness that I have come to know and love!

We did have a lot of stuff running in the room all at once: between the PA, AC, stereo, lights, and my rig but nothing we haven't run in the past. Could it have just been dirty AC? I played through the cab for a total of 1-2 minute's worth of notes and then stopped. It never got much louder than conversational speaking. I don't think that I did any damage to the speakers, they did sound fine once I got back home... Does anyone think I have cause for concern?
    :confused: :meh: :crying:

2. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Also, the clip light of the power section and the overload signals of the pre- were not lighting up either if that helps... :help:

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

What is different at home then at your practice space?
    Perhaps your speaker cab wasn't plugged in all the way
    or something in the chain wasn't quite right.

Try it again and let us know what happens.

If it gets crappy sound again, then start
    changing things...ONE AT A TIME...until the
    problem goes away.

That will usually ID the problem.

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    No, it wasn't that... I tried the speakon in each out of the amp into each input of the cab. And it was the same set up at home and at practice... Same cables, same bass, same head, same cabinet. I have always used the same outlet for the PA and my rig although I didn't try switching the two plugs into the other outlet... That might be an outlet to look into next time I guess.

My question still stands: What did it and could it possibly have done damage? I am at my girlfriend's right now and then I'll be home to crank it up and make sure everything is copaesthetic... More to come.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Well just played it with both Bennies with all my instrument cables and different Speaker cables and it works fine... Loud and deep and rich just like an Epifani cabinet should sound! No snaps, crackles, pops, creaks, hisses or anything. And especially no nasty god-awful distortion.

In any event, I'd still like to know what the heck happened though if any of our electrical-minded friends would care to comment. Brian Barret of thelowend.net fame said something about the Class D power amp maybe being finnicky with an odd power source... I don't know, once I ruled out the cables, amp, bass, everything else is beyond me. :meh: