Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 212 for Rock???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Hello Fellow bassists...

I'm interested in buying an Epifani 212. I'm wondering if there are any bassist in the forum who use Epifani to play Rock music.

BTW I will be using it with an Ampeg SVT Classic.

Thanx, Ruly.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i don't but i'd love to. that cab has a lot of guts and authority. probably a better cab for rock than their 10" cabs IMO.

3. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi:

I do too (howdy Jer!!!!!!)

I have the original T212 (vertical alignment) and
    it is a magnificent stand alone cabinet. I've used
    it alone outdoors at the Tucson Reid Park ampitheatre,
    and if anything it was *too* loud. It really likes
    to have alot of power before it opens up. As such,
    I also have a T112 for small club gigs (and both
    cabinets together are heaven, a 3 x 12" stack)

I find using a Sansamp BDDI is crucial to getting
    a crunchy sound (I play Alembic F2B/QSC PLX2402)

Cheers!

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

4. I've used the original inline 212 for rock, prog-metal, blues, country...you name it. Works great!

Mike

5. Thanks guys, I will be bringing my SVT to the store to try the cab with my gear... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

6. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi:

One thing I have noticed, is that the T212 really
    needs a goodly amount of power to open up.
    I tried mine through a Musicman HD130 tube amp,
    and obviously although it sounded great there
    was virtually no headroom.

If your Ampeg has enough booty, you will be happy.
    It seems as though some of these high powered
    cabs like huge amount of solid state power to really
    open up the bottom end, be sure to check that out.

Very smart that you are bringing *your* amp to
    check out a speaker system

Cheers!

Phil

7. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I dont mean to Hijack the thread, but I am having trouble deciding between the UL212 and the UL310. Id like to stay punchy, but be able to get a nice thick sound ala motown and funk. I know the UL212 weighs in close to 10 or so more pounds than the UL310. Id like to be somewhat portable for when i go away to college after next year ( currently living at home going to a community college).

8. That is a very good question...

9. Hi,

I have two Epi UL 1x12's and they sound good. You can get a Jaco punchy tone and they sound great playing rock/pop or funk. Still I find Epifani 10's more punchy and I actually prefer 10's for my taste. The 3x10 is very great cab. Light and powerful. The 4x10 is also a super cab, a little bigger but great tone. That is going to my next cab.
    It is hard to decide which one!

I would like to play a 2x12 vs. my single 1x12's and see if they have the same bottom.

Christian

10. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I am gonna just get my butt on over to basscentral tomorrow hopefully and play them. Im sure which ever i choose, ill be very pleased with. Might i add that i love Christian McBride's tone with his fretless pensa through epi's on his "Vertical Vision" cd.

11. Now I gotta try the 3 X 10 too!!! :D :D :D

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I played an outdoor gig last Sunday with the T212 and T310 together. Powered by the EA iAMP 800 (2 ohm load), they sounded simply terrific. Detailed, punchy and full-range. Oh...and loud! :D

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I agree, even though I use Aguilar Stuff. I use a GS410 w/ a GS112 and they sound great together!

14. Thanks for the input, everyone!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

15. I just read that Tim Bogert uses two custom Epifani 2 x12 cabs... :bassist: :bassist:

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a 212D that I like a lot. For EVERYTHING. As far as a voiced cabinet goes..it just sounds good. Better than good.

I found it to be efficent (loud) as heck and would be my "go to" box if I was using a small wattage amp.

With a big wattage amp..it can do some amazing things like, cover an outdoor stage for a loud classic rock band when the monitors are worthless and the backline is junk...and sound GREAT the whole time.

17. Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on buying it next month.

ruly