Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epifani - 212 Vs 410 - opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slot, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Hey,

Im gonna trade in both of my cabs for one the above, for use as a standalone cab.

I played a 4ohm 410 the other day and it was dynamite, but i think its just a tad to big for my likings.

I havent been able to play a 212, but i have a strong feeling that they have got the sound im looking for.

Basically, im looking for one cab that can handle the majority of my gigging needs, without being too big, and without being too small.

I mainly play jazz/funk(fingerstyle) .......

Is the 212 tight?, or is it wooly? ..........Im after a punchy mid/low tone, but something that ISNT wooly and muddy. And im not a big fan of excessive treble, so crystal highs arent really of much concern.

Which cab do you guys think?:meh:

Due to the fact im living in aus, i probably wont be able to play a 212 before i order one:meh: .......So talk me out of it, or talk me into it:D plz

cheers

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've only heard the 1x12 and it was definitely not wooly or muddy. Clear and articulate with a complex sound. I can't imagine the 2x12 is much different.

3. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Have you considered an SWR Triad? It would be a great all round cab for the type of music you play. The Triad has a 15", 10" and an adjustable tweeter in a 4 ohm 400w rms 80lb package.

4. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    thx mate ....thats what i was wanting to hear
    thx for the reply ...ive played a few, and in theory they seem awesome. But every time ive played one, i havent really dug them at all. Both of my cabs i own at the moment are swr, and i was sort of trying to avoid swr this time around. Great cabs, but ive come to the conclusion that they havent got the sound im looking for.

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I believe the new style 2x12's are the same size as the 4x10. So you must be looking for an old style 2x12? Just offering information.

6. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    yea ....you're right.

But i think the 212 is about 10 pounds lighter ........not that that is really much difference, but they all add up.

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmm yes. I have a 4x10 Epifani and it is not a BIG cabinet. It isn't much larger than my Genz Benz 2x10XB. It does weigh 98lbs!! But that doesn't stop me from giging with it. I haven't been able to turn it up at a gig yet. The last one I played was an outdoor show so I thought that I would be able to crank it. Nope. Once my volume knob hit three the sound guy was like, "Dan, you have to turn it down". I worked with this cat before and he really does a great job. He wasn't kidding. I had the guitar player play my bass and I went an listend for myself. These cabinets are a work of sonic art. Ah, tone!!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Have you considered the Ultra Light version of the 4x10? 59.5 lbs!

In truth, I think that you would be happy with either cab. I haven't heard either, but I do have two T-112's and a T-110UL, and I am very happy with them.

Tom.

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Perhaps you could consider a 2*1.12" combination? I heard that the cabs of Aguilar do very well in that kind of setting, so the Epifani cabs will do the job very well too (or even better perhaps). It appeared that the paired single cabs give a faster combi, in fact I heard them last sunday en it was very good! And loud as well!

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I tend to agree. Plus, it's easier to lug two 1x12's than one 2x12. However, if you are going to try the two cab approach, I strongly suggest that you try pairing up a T-112 with a T-110UL. I auditioned the T-210UL and T-310 in addition to the T-112 and T-110UL, and once I tried the T-110UL stacked on top of the T-112, the magic really started to happen. This combo was so much better than any of the cabs on their own, it was amazing. The tonal clarity and articulation throughout the frequency spectrum is quite impressive.

Later, I picked up a used T-112 (the slightly older, slightly shallower version). If you have an amp that can handle the 2.67 ohm load, two T-112's with a T-110UL can handle about any gig situation. Plus, you have the 23 lb T-110UL to take to practice!

Hope this helps, Tom.

11. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Bergantino has a couple of options:
    The HT322 has a 12 and 2 10's and is making quite a noise in the industry these days. Conceptually, it sounds like a dream cab- a 12 for roundness, 2-10's for aggressive punch. Why I don't own one...weight...93 lbs. Berg also makes a 2-12 that sounds very meaty...but it is heavy too...and has been discontinued.

I threw my back out lifting my 64 pound 2-10 at exactly the wrong angle at the end of the gig Sunday. Had something to do with being tense because the Harley guy was riding THROUGH the bar on his bike.

I'm thinking two single 12's. The 1-12 and 1-10 Epi idea sounds interesting. I can play a gig with either of my Berg cabs as stand alones (1-15 and 2-10), but they sound better together. Problem is, I really don't NEED that much rig for most gigs.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I love the grunt and clarity of the Epifani cabs. Right now I play a T410, a backbreaker yes, but I only have to carry it from car to cart, or up the occasional stairs. Not something I look forward to, but I can handle it.

To me, the main difference between the 410 and 212 is how the speakers "speak". That is, you'll hear more forward upper mids from the 410, and tighter lows. The 212's sound warmer, hit a little less softly, and seem to be more forward with a slightly lower mid frequency.

However, keep in mind what Captain Wally said: the Epi 112's are vastly different from most others - there's no wooliness to the tone like the Aguilar GS112. It's complex, clean, clear, and deafening.

13. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Thanks for the replys fella's.

I've already jumped the gun and ordered an ultralight 212 though.

The t-410 sounded amazing, but i read a thing or two on the ultralight version that swayed me back toward the 212.

Im predominately a bride-pickup pocket player, so im thinking(hoping) that the low mids of the 212 will suit me to a T.

2 112s would have been real nice too, but i would have had to sell a few vital organs to be able to afford 'them'(probably not much more than my ultralight though:meh: ). Living in Aus is a biatch when it comes to buying all these tidy cabs and amps.

If anyone has played the ultralight 212, a chime in would be much appreciated

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Are the Ultra Light 12's available then? I thought that Nick hadn't found a suitable neo 12 yet.

Tom.

15. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Well i've ordered one, so im hoping they are:meh:

They're up on the new epi web site, so im pretty positive that they've been released .......

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yeah, but they've been up there for a while. Still, if they let you order one, you would think that they'd be able to deliver.

Tom.

17. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    lol ....you've got me nervous now man.

Well the dudes at the shop havent called yet to say its unavailable, so i guess thats a good sign.

but akk, the lack of information on this cab does make me wonder.

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    They reportedly just came in this week. (word from Epifani).

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What about the 410UL swayed you to the 212UL?

20. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Thanks for that vanseleus. Stoked.

Captain Wally,

I dont really know what led me to the 212, because i havent had the pleasure of playing either of them yet.

It's more a personal preference i guess. Whenever ive played through 12's, i've found it very easy to get the growling lower mids that i love. Where as with 10's, i seem to be eternally tweeking to try and get my sound.

I also read a review or two on the 410UL that described the optimal sound as an upper mid kind of tone. If i was still into slapping, i probably would have gone for the 410. But i think the 212 will be more suited to finger style funk/rnb/jazz/whatever, to my ears anyway