Epifani 212 vs. Bag End s15d

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 10, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´d like a fat traditional tone in a portable rig. I want a sound that contains lot of mids like old Ampegs. I´m going to use the cab with my p-bass and Ashdown ABM head. I recently discovered that Epifani is not that expensive here in europe. So, how good is the Epifani 212? Would I be better of with two bagends? I can´t try these cabs cause the stores don´t stock these. So, what I order is what I´ll get.
    You advise is very important to me.
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I use a single Bag End S15-D, and it has a very pronounced lower midrange. I also play a P-bass (through a Hartke 3500 head).

It's definitely portable -- small and light.

However, I wouldn't say that the sound is exactly "traditional". Although I haven't tried Epifani, my guess is that both Bag End and Epifani are more "hi-fi" sounding than traditional. Personally, I love the Bag End sound, and I plan to get a second S15-D eventually.

If you're after the Ampeg sound, why not try an Ampeg 1x15 or 2x15?
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Depends on where you play. I've found that if I'm running through the board, I don't need the 115. I just use 2 12's. If I'm playing out with no sound system, I might use both depending on the room size. I'd get the Bag End 15 and the Epiphani 212.
  4. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA

I've owned both of those cabs, and they are wildly different. The Bag End would probably be closer to the Ampeg sound you like, as it has strong mids and a non-boomy bottom end. Two S15-D is a very popular stack with the Ashdown head, and is very portable.

The Epifani T-212 will give you far more lows than the Bag End, and I mean a LOT more! Low-B for days... the mids seem to be more scooped on this cab than on the other Epifanis, but you can always use EQ and get it back. This cab is the only one that does justice to the Ashdown subharmonic synth, if you use it. If you want Phat, this cab is the way to go. Plus, the 4 ohm rating will get the most power out of your Ashdown (just as two Bag Ends will).

The only thing I don't like about the Epi is the width. Makes it harder to carry and set up on stage. The weight is fine - 75 lbs.

So you can have great hi-fi 4-string sound (Bag Ends) or you can have fantastic hi-fi 5-string sound (Epifani). Something like that...

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I think the Epifani is designed to have a flatter response. A lot of cab companies (Ampeg, Eden) have humps in the mids, while the Epifani has truer mids. I don't know about the Bag End.

As for the size of the Epifani 212, you could just put it on its side if you're short on stage space.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It just so happens that I am in the process of assembling a new bass rig, and what I'm looking for is very similar to what you mentioned in your message. Although I play Jazz basses, I am looking for a rig that will be highly portable (I can "easily" move the whole thing by myself) and something will give me a mix of new and traditional when it comes to tone. I have recently, within the last week, tried the very cabs that you asked about...Bag End 1X15 (the factory is 10 minutes away) and Epifani 2X12, and thought that I would put my 2 cents in since the differences are so clear in my head.
    While all of these comments are complete subjective and varry based on the other equipment used to test the cabs, my impressions of the 2X12 Epifani that I tried this afternoon was that the lowest of lows and the highest of highs were accentuated. I hate to say that the overall sound was "scooped", since a little EQ could change the character of the cab. But, with EVERYTHING set flat, the Epifani had a clear focus on the top and bottom. Overall, the entire Epi line sounded "modern" and would probably be a better match for someone who slaps, pops, and plays extended-range basses. As for portability, I actually lifted the thing up in the store, and it wasn't that bad. I think that they weigh about 75 lbs. Depending on your size, build, age, and mode of transportation, that might be OK. However, the 2X12 is quite a bit deeper and wider than most cabs, and I found it more difficult to get ahold of as opposed to the 2X10 or 3X10. The 3X10, which weights the same, but is more narrow, was a LOT easier to lift and carry.
    As far as the Bag End 1X15, I felt that it was a solid cab and moved a lot of air for its size. I tried a 2X10 side-by-side with the 15, and really liked the 2X10 by comparison. However, the two together (2X10 & 1X15) were great! The 2X10 was a more "familiar" sound to me, had more focus, more presence, more detail, and more balance. The 1X15 was not as dynamic, but could be a good match for someone who is looking for something more traditional sounding without so much snap and presence. By the way, the 1X15 I tried was the one with the co-ax tweeter, and it is important to point out that there is NO TWEETER CONTROL on this model. You can get the cab with or without a tweeter, but if you get one with, its on full tilt all of the time. Overall, I felt that the response was very even and balanced. I don't know if I would go so far as to say "studio monitor reference", but they were very even and didn't have a definining characteristic or color. Concerning portability, I don't think that you can find better cabinets that are as small, light, and easily movable as these cabinets. I was very impressed at how easy they were to pick up and carry around. I think that they both weighed about 50 lbs a piece, which should be very manageable...not to mention the fact that they are EXTREMEMLY compact in size. Having said that, I think its time for me to ice down my fingers after all of this typing. And if anyone has tried out one of the new Wayne Jones cabs, e-mail me and let me know what you think. Hope this helps!!!