Epifani 3-10 or 2 Aguilar 1-12 cabs. Which is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have a choice between the 3-10 or 2 1-12 cabs stacked. I will be using a SWR Sm-900 and wondering which will be better.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Better in what way? If you're referring to tone, then let your own ears decide!
  3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I now have the 310 and did own a single GS112. Here's the scoop as I see it so far. The 310 is likely going to be punchier and offer you a more balanced, full range of sound than 2 AG 112's. If you like a slightly scooped mids sound and a phatty bottom end, I'd opt for the 2 ag's. The ag's are also are a slightly cheaper date compared to the Epifani unless you find one used like I did. They don't come on the market that often used.

Sheer volume wise, the 2 112's could be slightly louder although the 310 is absolutely no slouch. I have had no trouble being heard, loud, clear, AND phatttt with the 310. I do have 750 or so watts pushing the cab which I think helps.

Weightwise/shlepp factor...the 2-112's together weigh about 12 pounds more than the Epifani and don't seem like they weigh 42 pounds each..very easy to CARRY. I barely have to CARRY the Epi as I roll it everywhere (installed casters) and don't need the extra 60 pound rack and roll cart to get my stuff in and out of clubs now.

There's on the other hand a versatility factor with getting 2 cabinets both in stage placement and stacking them on each other, putting both on the floor on their bottom or their side. You can work with them a little better than with one cabinet but with the 310, have no fear. If you're gonna pay full, new price, why not look at a Bergantino 310 or their 322 for an extra $150 or so?. Both cabs are a little heavier shlepp than the Epifani...keep in mind
    I think the 322 would give you the best of both worlds if you can afford it (I couldn't) and physically can shlepp it/have big enough transportation for it...(I can't and I don't).

Tell us something about the size of band, general tone/volume you need, types of venues you play. That will help me take the above and hone it down to what better relates to your situation. What are you using now for speaker cabs with the SWR900?

I've also found with my Sunn 1200S head that getting the overall Ohmage down to 4 and under REALLY makes a difference in the volume. I was thinking about adding an Epi 112 for certain gigs where I'd like to be running a little more "wide open" wattage wise.

Up to you!!

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    As I posted in your other thread FlatBass, I've owned both...but it's going to be impossible for any of us to tell you which will be "better". Better is for you (and your ears) alone to decide. Fuzz makes some great observations. Bottom line, if you can't A/B the two options, and I assume you can't, you're gonna have to "eenie-meenie-mynee-moe" eventually.

We really are lucky as bassists now, as cabinet design has gotten so damn good. When you're talking about a choice between Epifani, Bergantino, Aguilar, Accugroove, Bag End, Eden, etc., etc....you're really talking about fairly subtle differences in killer tone.

One other thing to consider...who are you buying the used Epi from? Can you send it back if you're not happy? For example, I've got a used Epi 310 I could sell you, and you wouldn't know it has a blown speaker in it until you got it on a gig and really pushed it. Of course, I'd never do that to anyone...but how would you know that?

On the other hand, I recently had a blown preamp tube in my Aguilar DB750, and when I reported the problem to Aguilar (I didn't know what it was at the time...I'm no techie) I had everybody falling all over themselves to help me get the problem resolved. Fantastic customer service.
  5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well I have not had a chance to play on any of these cabs. I have been using 2 Bag End S-15D cabs with my SM-900. I also was used to a eden
    4-10T cab with the SM-900. I do not want to get something that the bottom in is going to fart out on. I can get a Epifani 3-10 for about 650.00 to my door. I started to miss a little of my eden cabs ping for slapping but it will not fit in my car anymore so I figured the 3-10 used would be the next best option. Then if I played a bigger gig I could pop the two Bag End S-15 cabs right under the 3-10! I play in a loud funk band, a motown band, and a rock band that plays alot of stuff, and I will be going to scholl for bass performance.
  6. I like my Epifani 3x10 with my SM 900 and I play similar stuff. I think you will like the slap sound, tight and punchy but not scooped like other brands I've tried. Just use the semi-parametric EQ on the SWR head to get the tone You like.

Just a note here. I've now gone to a Demeter 201 with a Stewart 2.1 and push that cab with alot of juice and it sounds better(warmer) with POWER. I also have a newer Goliath III and a/b them frequently and the Goliath, while good, just seems to get "brittle" at higher volumes. I'm flirting with the idea of 2 3x10s by trading the Goliath.

I must stop now to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Good luck.
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    There ya go, FB...someone with your head and prospective cab. Good points, too.

P.Funk...do you get that crisp "pank" we all love in your slap sound with the Epi's? I absolutely adored the sound of my two Epifani 310's with my DB750...until I blew a speaker, made the decision to go "all Aggie" and got the GS410 and GS210. I've found the Aggies to be much warmer while, somewhat surprisingly, getting a crisper slap tone as well.

Ah, gear love...fickle ain't it? :cool:
  8. Craig,
    I bought the cab based on that slap sound. I recently played through the Ag 4x10 while trying out a bass and was very impressed by the tone. Much warmer, yet tight for slapping, than the SWR.