Epifani 310 Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, Sep 28, 2000.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Has anyone used these or any other Epifani cabs? How do they compare sound and pricewise with Euphonic cabs? They look very portable. I'm using 1 or 2 Peavey 410 cabs right now depending on the situation. I need help deciding?
  2. I have one on order, it should be here next week. I'll post my impressions after I get a chance to try it out. BTW, Giampietro Guitars in Connecticut has some terrific prices on the Epifani stuff. I paid $845 including UPS ground shipping from Connecticut to San Francisco.

Very nice folks to deal with.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Looking forward to hearing what you think of it, Michael. Seems like a nice package.
  4. It just got even nicer. I ordered a T-212 today. I think the combination of the T-310 and the T-212 is going to be a moderately to severely OK setup.

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

Does this mean that the Acmes are no longer the Holy Grail? :)

6. They never were "The Holy Grail".

They were, (and are), amazing little cabs that are light, compact, reasonably priced, and sound terrific.

But I've become dissatisfied with their appetite for consuming massive amounts of power without proportional acoustic output. I play too many outdoor gigs without PA support for the bass for them to be practical for me.

If I were playing exclusively indoors, I wouldn't be making the switch. In fact, I am dreading having to hump 70-75lb. cabinets again, but if that's what it takes, that's what I'll do.

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    You made (or implied) a good point: No cab, guitar, etc is ideal in every way. There's always some kind of tradeoff.

I've often wondered if the Acmes were great "for their size", "for their price" or great in every respect (except for the power issue, of course).:)

I tried an Epifani 310 in the store. It sounded good but as you said, it is more expensive and weighty than some cabinets. And there's the question of whether one (5 ohm) box will be enough.

I look forward to a thorough review when you get all your new gear.

8. I'll be sure to let y'all know after I give 'em a good wringin' out. I've heard nothing but good about both cabs, but you know how THAT goes... ;-)
  9. UPS just delivered my Epifani T-310. Being 8:30 in the morning here, I can only play it pretty quietly, so I can't say much about the sound yet, although what I can hear sounds rich and tight.

The box it was shipped in was trashed, but the cab came through unscathed. Construction looks good. It's deceptively small (like an Acme B2 on end but about 6" wider). My SKB 4 space rack sits perfectly on top. One nice feature is the input panel on the back has TWO Speakons and TWO 1/4" (no binding posts, but I hate those anyway). Would make daisychaining with Speakons possible, where daisychaining with the B2s requires a Speakon cable AND either a 1/4
    or binding post cable. (Although at 5.3 ohms, I'd have to have an amp that could bridge into 2.6 ohms for that to be a useful feature). Oh well, never mind.

It's a little harder to hump it up the stairs than a single B2, but not too bad. It's well-balanced and the handles are properly placed and kind of like the Eden ones but even nicer (they're either steel or aluminum powder coated black), quite comfortable in the hands. As you may or may not know, the B2 handles suck.

Carpeting and corners are just like the Eden stuff. Grille is of expanded mesh with very small holes (maybe 3/16) with tiny webbing holding the holes, and it's mounted with SIX rubber standoffs. I don't see this thing developing any grille rattles.

I've been told by T-310 owners that one of these is enough for any club, so I don't forsee having to bring two cabs on gigs unless it's an outdoor thing with no PA assist for the bass. If this is the case, then this thing will actually be easier to deal with than two B2s.

I'll let you know more later when I can crank it up a bit.
  10. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

what are you using to power the 310?
  11. I'm driving it with a QSC PLX-2402 that's being fed by an Aguilar DB 659, and that has a Sadowsky PJ5 plugged into it.

I figure it's about 2KW bridged into 5.3 ohms, or about 500W at 5.3 ohms one stereo channel.
  12. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    michael n,

No pressure here, but when you DO post that review I'd like to know in detail how the Epifanis comapare to the Acmes in terms of:
    1 clarity
    2 punch
    3 frequency range

I know they're probably more efficient than the Acmes. I also know you bought two cabs. But will a single Epifani cut it on loud gigs? Does your QSC have enough headroom?

By the way, I'm not just asking all these questions so that I can live vicariously through you. I just bought a QSC PLX3002 power amp, so I'm one step closer to having my dream rig. Can't wait to try it out, but I don't have a preamp yet. D'oh!

13. Hey guys. The November issue of Bass Player is out with a very positive review of the Epifani 310; which makes me want one all the more!

I have my sights set on a 210 in the spring.
  14. Unfortunately because I am currently "between assignments" (no band), I haven't had an opportunity yet to gig with the T-310 and T-212.

Am trying to get some projects together, but there's not a lot of work for country bass players in SF :-(

Until I get a chance to gig with them, I don't see much point in a detailed review. Who cares what they sound like in my house? What counts is what they sound like when used in anger.

15. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I didn't know one can play country music in "anger" :)
  16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Somewhat untrelated to the Epi. 3x10, but I'm buying a 1x12 to go with the Epi.2x12 I have for a modular setup. 1, 2, or 3 12's, depending on gig requirements. 3 12's in a vertical line will make quite a stack I think. By the way, I love the Epi's, and the 10's are cool too.
  17. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ahem... "My dog died, THAT BITCH!!" how's that?